Author Topic: QLD BDM look up please  (Read 2476 times)

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: QLD BDM look up please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 November 14 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Your Donald Herbert McIver is Queensland death registration C2192 of 1974,   parents supposedly Angus McIver and Margaret Brockwell.

You can see this at www.bdm.qld.gov.au    and you can order a copy of his death certificate online from the Queensland government,  which I suggest you do.

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 November 14 04:40 GMT (UK) »
It is a curious and annoying thing that these government websites in Australia use "bdm"  and the well known English website Freebmd uses "bmd".

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 November 14 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Ha !   Why is an 8 year old thread top of today's thread list ?  Oh well.

Offline aussue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 November 14 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for the info . . . . .His parents were Angus McIver and Rhoda Rosetta Brockell. Rhoda married George Andrew Richards and had 6 children before she left with Angus. It appears they were never married and at the time of her death she is listed as Margaret McIver. She is our great grandmother. Have only just joined rootschat so haven't worked it all out yet how it goes. . . Cheers Aussue.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 November 14 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Welcome to RootsChat Aussue,

It is a great place for help with family history, and no matter when a thread is started, it can be added to even years later.    Clarence commenced this thread back in 2006, and from their profile I can see they were online yesterday, so hopefully will be receiving notifications to check this thread.

If you were to post just once more (even just to say “Hi” or “thanks”) you will have made 3 posts, and that way you can then use the private messages system to contact Clarence. 

Thetowers commented about  two matters so may I mention that the RChat way is to make the most recent activity on each board (and so this thread is on the Aussie Board) come to the top of the list, no matter what date it started.

And may I mention that the freebmd  puts the b m d in that order just as the General Registry Office for England and Wales puts them in that order.   This is a different order from the NSW Registry Office which was established in 1856, and includes registrations of baptisms and burials as per the civil requirements of the NSW Governor, Lachlan Macquarie, in 1810.  (NSW in 1810 covered a much larger geographical territory than today’s NSW).   

Initially those Macquarie General Orders did not cover registration of marriages, so perhaps b d m better reflects the historical origins of the 19th Century processes in Australia; while the b m d reflects the historical origins of the 19th Century processes in England and Wales.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline aussue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 November 14 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou JM . . . .I'm finding it all a little daunting for now. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. . . eventually.  I hope Clarence will check these posts. I found out today that Donald McIver's cause of death was leukemia. My husbands mother remembers him and I'm sure we have a photo floating around somewhere. . . Cheers Sue