Author Topic: Thomas Daintry Sr & Thomas Daintry Jr  (Read 3546 times)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Daintry Sr & Thomas Daintry Jr
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 November 14 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Daintry seems a fairly common name in Wales. Judith do you know if Brecon and Neath are close by one another in Breconshire as on my census the original says BRECON.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline moamabob

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 November 14 05:39 GMT (UK) »
A big thank you to all the good people on RootsChat who help you with all the information on the Daintry family name,as Judith said in her post none of this yet verified but it all 'hangs together,
I have more information in one day than I have found in months thanks to all.
Cheers Bob S

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 November 14 06:24 GMT (UK) »
An interesting search, Bob.

There are some public trees that suggest that Thomas DAINTRY (b 1831) married Fanny PLUMRIDGE at Ystradgynlais, Dec qr 1858 (very close to Thomas's birth) FreeBMD seems to have some problems with the record of the marriage as the page number is apparently not clear.  Once again this registration was in Neath which was the registration district town for Ystradgynlais.  If you look up Googlemap you can see that Ystradgynlais is north of Neath and now in the (newish) county of Powys.  However Wikipedia says: Ystradgynlais is one of the few areas within old Brecknockshire. (So, once again it seems to 'hang together'.

Now,why a girl from Buckinghamshire and a bloke from Cambridgeshire/Hertfordshire were in a village in the valleys of South Wales is a bit of a mystery as they were back in east England by the time the first 2 children were baptised in 1861, and then moved to London.  Perhaps he was working there - there was an iron works, or perhaps he was a servant there. He seems to have been working with horses in 1841 and 1871 :-\

My husband's family is from that area so I have passed through Ystradgynlais  - and can pronounce it!!

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 November 14 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Possibility,

1892 Sands, Melbourne Directory.
Sturrock St (West side) West Brunswick, between Donald and Moreland Road.
Daintry, Thomas.

Gerry

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 21 November 14 00:46 GMT (UK) »
The funeral notices for Mary give the names of many of her grandchildren which I won't post as some of them may still living.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/17921124

There is a death ad for Mary Daintry on this page,  in addition to the two funeral ads.

It says that Mary was the wife and mother of both Thomas's ( both deceased ), and Nellie.  I would typically read this to imply she only had two children.  But then,  it is a bit difficult to come up with all those other relatives mentioned in the funeral ads.

I always read the entirely of these newspaper pages, when someone posts a link to them.  Particularly the ones after 1954 which are not readily accessible to normal Trove users.  I always find at least one other relative, or someone I know,  on the same page.  A few weeks ago someone posted a link to a 1977 page from the SMH,   and i found three people I knew mentioned on it.

thetowers perhaps you could complete your profile information ;).

If you live in NSW and have a SLNSW card you can access the SMH 1955-1995 from home.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01e8h/

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline moamabob

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 21 November 14 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Cando I did not no about the SLNSW card I will register for one today it all help in keeping the cost downwhen researching.
Cheers Bob S

Offline Champagne03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 15 December 14 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Just a little to add here re Louisa Daintry mentioned above in the 1871 census...

From an index to the registers of St John the Baptist church, West Wickham:

Daintry, Louisa Martha, d of Thomas & Fanny, coachman, b 1 Apr bap 13 May 1866.