Author Topic: Following up Queensland Police Gazette 1866  (Read 2015 times)

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Following up Queensland Police Gazette 1866
« on: Saturday 22 November 14 05:18 GMT (UK) »
I have a transcription from the Queensland Police Gazette, Volume lll, page 82, 3rd October 1866.
Name - William Henry Scott Hindmarsh
category - Institutes & Organisations
 record collection - Courts & legal.
topic- Charged on warrant of the Ipswich Bench with embezzling the sum of 112pound 6s. 9d.
In the NSW Police Gazette 17th Oct. 1866 there is Extract from Queensland Police Gazette which gives more detail.
'William Henry Scott Hindmarsh is charged on warrant of the Ipswich Bench of embezzling the sum of 112pounds 6s.9d on the 13th June last, He is an Englishman aged 30, 5 feet 9 inches high, slender build, sallow complexion, long thin features, thin nose, light thin whiskers and moustache, smart appearance, generally dresses in black cloth coat, grey tweed trousers, white felt hat, and patent leather boots. He formerly carried on business as an auctioneer and commission agent in the neighbourhood of Ipswich. He is supposed to have gone to Sydney - 14th September 1866.
I have searched the papers for the outcome of this charge and cannot find anything. I wonder if anyone has any advice on where next to look . thank Jo

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Following up Queensland Police Gazette 1866
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 November 14 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the article in Trove - The Brisbane Courier  Friday 27 April 1866 about William Henry Scott Hindmarsh being sued by J and G Harris over a promissory note. Something to do with selling a mob of cattle which he wasn't authorized to do.

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 November 14 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have that.It  was found in favour of the defendant. Thanks

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 November 14 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have that.It  was found in favour of the defendant. Thanks

So that's your outcome. 

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline jeanlit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 November 14 08:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm slightly confused - wasn't the charge in the Qld Pol Gaz dated October 1866?  And wasn't the article in Trove dated April 1866?

So ... does that mean there was two offences - six months apart?

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 November 14 09:28 GMT (UK) »
That's right - it is the second one that I am trying to find the outcome to.

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 November 14 09:57 GMT (UK) »
I think your initial post gives the answer,according to Police he has gone to Sydney,and they weren't going to pursue him.He may have not wanted to risk court appearance again.Have you checked NSW BMD for marriage or death?
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 November 14 10:35 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

A William Henry Scott Hindmarsh appears on New Zealand Electoral Rolls in the 1880s maybe he took off to NZ instead of NSW.

Gerry

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 November 14 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the replies. It does rather look as though he did a runner . He came to NZ in 1867 and spent the next 50 years of his life here. This is all well documented including in a published book 'Tales of the Golden West'  recently republished - his pen-name being Waratah. Examples of his beautiful script abound including the 10 commandments in gold writing on black background in St. Stephen's church, Reefton, NZ. Also documented in large journals are his birth in Norfolk Island, his childhood in Sydney, his voyage from Sydney to London in a sailing ship captained by his uncle ( his father died when he was 7) and his 6 years spent there with his grandmother and aunt at Trinity Green almshouse for old sea capts . ( his grandfather had been a sea capt) I am trying to fill in the years he spent in Sydney after his return - he married at 20 and then his years in Ipswich. From Trove I have gathered that he was a secretary to a literary group in Sydney. I know that one of his early jobs in Sydney was as a secretary to Sir Thomas Mitchell. In Ipswich he was Secretary of the  Ipswich Mechanics School of Arts and Librarian of the Ipswich Subscription Library and Reading Room. There are some interesting letters he wrote to the newspaper in 1864 and 1865  where there  some criticisms he was answering in a spirited way. In 1866 they had a baby die and a baby born. 1.6.1866 he is admitted as a member of the North Australian Jockey club - which makes it look as if he is settled but 6.9.1866 there is an auction of his 'elegant' furniture and effects. The police warrant is intriguing as it seems so out of character. It would be good to have more than supposition. Would the police have followed it up in Sydney? Would the police have recorded the outcome or that they did not pursue? Where would one find such information?