Author Topic: Snedshill/Priors Lee Lookup - Atkins/Beetlestone  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Wykum Girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Snedshill/Priors Lee Lookup - Atkins/Beetlestone
« on: Friday 17 October 14 14:35 BST (UK) »
I want to find out if a George Atkins born in 1868 was really the son of James Atkins or if he was the illegitmate son of James's wife Sarah Beetlestone who were married in December 1868. He was living with them in Rushall in 1871 aged three and in 1881 aged 14 when he was employed as an iron caster. On both censuses his place of birth was given as Snedshill. I think he was still in Rushall in 1891,married to Sarah [surname unknown] although his birthplace was recorded as Priors Lee.  Is anyone able to check out the parish registers in both these villages, looking for the baptism of George with surname Atkins or Beetlestone?  I realise it is a lot to ask but would appreciate any help with this.  I should add that when James Atkins died in 1916 he left a will leaving his property to his wife and children who were all listed. George was not amongst them.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Snedshill/Priors Lee Lookup - Atkins/Beetlestone
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 October 14 15:12 BST (UK) »
Best way would be to get his birth certificate to see if a father is named upon it.

Was he registered under what surname - Atkins or Beetlestone?  I can't see a George birth in 1868 that covers Snedshill.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Wykum Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 October 14 15:43 BST (UK) »
Yep, this is my problem. I would buy a certificate if I knew which surname it was registered under. However, having looked under both names on FreeBMD and FindMyPast I cannot be certain which is the right one or even if there is one that covers Snedshill/Priors Lee area. At £9.25 each, I would like to be fairly certain I have the correct reference before I order!  If anyone can suggest another way to solve this then please, do let me know!

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 October 14 18:57 BST (UK) »
Yes I understand what you mean.  What options do we have for births under each name?

If we could find his marriage to Sarah that's another option as it should list father's name.

This one's a possible as it covers Wednesbury where Sarah was born.

Jun 1884 West Brom
George Atkins
Sarah Jane Chatwin

Having said that Sarah is only 20 in 1891 so that cannot be the right one  :(

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos