Author Topic: Brewery  (Read 3048 times)

Offline GYPO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brewery
« on: Monday 03 February 14 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please cast some light on the Fox Brewery,Main Street,Pembroke.When did it open,and when did it close?.
                   Many Thanks,
                                      Gypo.

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: Brewery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 February 14 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please cast some light on the Fox Brewery,Main Street,Pembroke.When did it open,and when did it close?.
                   Many Thanks,
                                      Gypo.
See Pubs of Pembroke by Keith Johnson page 71 prob the old Westgate House  had some connection with the Fox Brewery run by George Butler in 1858, prob previous in the hands of William Williams circa 1844
In my transcript of Pembroke St Mary Parish Registers George Butler had a daughter Frances Elliston Butler 02 Apr 1856 shown as a Brewer. If I remember, correctly the Elliston Familon familly came from Essex, but can easy confirm.
William & Rebecca Williams of Westgate (House) had a son baptised 06 Oct 1841 at St Mary, Wm is shown as a Mason at the time. I believe I have part of a headstone in my book on Headstones and Memorials of St Mary which Wm carved, along with ofcourse the Elliston Family headstones.
Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline GYPO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Many Thanks Owen AP Benfro, that has put me on the right track.
                 Regards,Gypo.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 July 14 11:26 BST (UK) »
In my transcript of Pembroke St Mary Parish Registers George Butler had a daughter Frances Elliston Butler 02 Apr 1856 shown as a Brewer. If I remember, correctly the Elliston Familon familly came from Essex, but can easy confirm.
William & Rebecca Williams of Westgate (House) had a son baptised 06 Oct 1841 at St Mary, Wm is shown as a Mason at the time. I believe I have part of a headstone in my book on Headstones and Memorials of St Mary which Wm carved, along with ofcourse the Elliston Family headstones.
Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro

Just found this posting via google as am trying to confirm the identity of Frances Elliston Butler's maternal grandfather James Elliston who was buried at St Twynnels in 1844.

I believe James was actually born in Suffolk but that particular family moved into Essex around 1800, where all of his elder sisters married and his parents were buried.  If there is any information regarding where he came from, I'd be very interested to see if it confirms my suspicions.  There is also a Richard Elliston in Stackpole Elidor around the same time and his burial age ties in with the brother of the James I'm trying to confirm.  That Richard was bailff to the Earl of Cawdor according to the newspaper announcement of his death.  Unfortunately as both James and Richard died before the 1851 Census, it's difficult to confirm beyond any doubt their identities.

Any help appreciated.  I'm grateful to Owen AP Benfro to confirm the witnesses to James Elliston's marriage but they are his wife's relations and don't help.

Thanks

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 July 14 15:05 BST (UK) »
According to my transcript of the complete Stackpole P.R.’s there are 2 Richard Henry Elliston’s buried ;
Richard Henry Elliston of Stackpole Quay buried 16 Sept 1833 aged 19 months by Francis George Leach
Richard Henry Elliston of Stackpole Farm in the parish of St Petrox buried 24 Jan 1832 aged 36 years by Francis George Leach.

Again according to my transcript of Stackpole ;
Richard Elliston of St Petrox married Anne Griffiths of Stackpole Elidor by licence on the 26 Oct 1828 in front of Francis George Leach. Both signed their names in the parence of Caroline Woodington, 2nd witt is unreadable.

A search of the Cawdor papers held at the Pembs Archive, may confirm the poistion of Richard on the Estate.

With reference to the mrge of George Butler to Elizabeth Elliston, the newspaper at the time has the wrong date and fails to note that James Elliston of Kings Mill Monkton is in fact deceased.

Have you considered any relationship between the Pembroke Elliston’s and the Elliston’s of Tenby and Haverfordwest?

Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro

ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 July 14 19:06 BST (UK) »
According to my transcript of the complete Stackpole P.R.’s there are 2 Richard Henry Elliston’s buried ;
Richard Henry Elliston of Stackpole Quay buried 16 Sept 1833 aged 19 months by Francis George Leach
Richard Henry Elliston of Stackpole Farm in the parish of St Petrox buried 24 Jan 1832 aged 36 years by Francis George Leach.

Again according to my transcript of Stackpole ;
Richard Elliston of St Petrox married Anne Griffiths of Stackpole Elidor by licence on the 26 Oct 1828 in front of Francis George Leach. Both signed their names in the parence of Caroline Woodington, 2nd witt is unreadable.

FindMyPast have images of the Stackpole registers and I agree the second witness is pretty much unreadable, although the first name may be possibly Ezra but it's not good.  I only found Richard Henry Elliston senior's burial on FindMyPast thanks to the Welsh Newspapers because they have indexed it as Ellistor. :-\

With reference to the mrge of George Butler to Elizabeth Elliston, the newspaper at the time has the wrong date and fails to note that James Elliston of Kings Mill Monkton is in fact deceased.

Yes it's interesting they don't mention the fact James is deceased, yet his name actually doesn't appear on the actual marriage entry, simply saying that her father is deceased.

Have you considered any relationship between the Pembroke Elliston’s and the Elliston’s of Tenby and Haverfordwest?

Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro

I've not looked at Tenby but the James Elliston, carpenter, who appears on Census as born Wiston I suspect may be James Elliston of Kings Mill's illegitimate son.  That James' baptism in Wiston in 1820 says illegitimate son of James Ellison of Kings Mill, servant, and Mary James.  As far as I can see, the only James Ellison, or Elliston for that matter, in the area at that time was the Kings Mill one and I can't believe the parish is that large anyway.  James Elliston of Kings Mill is listed as a miller on later records but unfortunately the Castlemartin PRs are missing from FindMyPast for the baptisms of his two children so I don't know what he is listed as in 1825 and 1828.  I somehow doubt he would have been a fully fledged miller anyway in the 1820s, but I may be wrong.  Interestingly James Elliston the carpenter is listed as Eliston on his marriage index entry and the 1851 Census, I can't find him on the 1841 Census.  His marriage doesn't appear on FindMyPast and as it's a distant sideline, I'm a little reluctant to purchase the certificate at present.

I live nowhere near Pembroke so the Archives isn't really an option to search the Cawdor papers for Richard at present.

I suspect that James and Richard were brothers because I do have a James Elliston baptised 1794 and a Richard Henry Elliston baptised 1796 who disappear when the rest of the family move to Essex.  I can't find a burial for them in Suffolk and to date there is no sign of them in Essex either.  This was the reason I was interested in your comment that the Elliston family originated in Essex to see if it tied in with other evidence I have. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 July 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/search/query?query=%22fox+brewery%22&date%5Bmin%5D=1804&date%5Bmax%5D=1919

Yes it was useful that the Welsh Newspapers, unlike their English counterpart, are available to view for free since I was unable to find one of the burials I was looking for on FindMyPast due to an index error. ;D

Offline LindaGregory152

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone still following this thread? If so, I have more information that I can share. James Elliston carpenter is my 3x ggf and I have been researching the line back to Suffolk and Essex. I won't give any more detail unless someone out there is "listening" 😊
Gregory, Elliott, Bray, Widdicombe, Warren, Honeywell, Haddy: Brixham/South Devon
Jones: Llangeler
Edmonds, Fort(t), Epton, Taylor: South Petherton/Martock Somerset
Valentine, Edwards, Jones: Cardiganshire (Ysbty Ystwyth, Llanbadarn Fawr), Llanidloes, Penrhiwceiber
Richards, Griffiths, Arthur: Tenby/Pembrokeshire