Author Topic: A challenge - JONES 1920s in Upper Chase, Malvern  (Read 4662 times)

Offline cispt2

• RootsChat Member
  • HALL of Fenstanton
    • View Profile
A challenge - JONES 1920s in Upper Chase, Malvern
« on: Monday 10 February 14 04:22 GMT (UK) »
All,

Helping a friend (Worcs is not my area of research) with a tricky problem.

Stevens Annuals (from 1910 to 1933) show John Jones occupied 'Frith Villa' from 1918 - 1927 (they adopted a girl we are interested in in 1920). It is assumed he died then as in 1928 it listed Mrs Jones as the occupier (but no initial).

SO how can I find out more about who this John and Mrs. Jones were? I've looked at 1911 for the street and didn't see them there (consistent with Stevens Annuals), but really don't know what other resources are out there... electoral rolls for example? I realise I'm not giving much. I can't even really understand what a 'villa' is - Google maps shows small-ish houses on the street.

There are a lot of John JONES deaths registered in Worcs in 1926/7... so it doesn't look like an easy path.

The little girls was adopted by them in 1920 after her mother died - her residence was 'No 1 Upper Chase, Malvern' according to death certificate. Just reinforces the address of the above.

Any advice, and any ideas welcome!

thanks,
matt
Banfield, Ewer, Staniland, Hall, Border, Quinane, Conlon, Alleyn, Moloney

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A challenge - JONES 1920s in Upper Chase, Malvern
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 February 14 04:35 GMT (UK) »
Matt, I don't think I will be of any help, but I wonder if it might be an idea to tell us the name of the street where Frith Villa was located? (you infer it was Upper Chase?)

I always thought that a villa was a larger house, but I may be wrong about that. It is often used as a term for a holiday house, but I think the true definition has been lost over time and basically you can call your house anything you want to. (a bit like the term "Cottage")

I hope someone can help you.

Offline cispt2

• RootsChat Member
  • HALL of Fenstanton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 February 14 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to be unclear, DEFINITELY it was on Upper Chase Road.

For example, on a birth certificate in 1918 it is written:

1 Frith Villas
Upper Chase Rd
Greater Malvern

thanks,
matt

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 February 14 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Matt. Knowing that adds to the bigger picture ...

So the address of the Jones family was No 1 Frith Villas and the adopted girl's mother died at the same address? If so, this implies they may be related, or at least very close friends.

Do you have the girl's birth certificate? What are her parent's names? It might worth looking for a family connection with the Jones. Children we often brought up by relatives if orphaned, and formal adoption did not come in until 1926.

If the adopted girl is no longer alive, would you be prepared to name her? (I understand if you don't wish to do so).

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 February 14 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Another thought - do you have John Jones in any census? (unfortunate that he has such a common name  ::))

I think rather than focus on the address, and John's death (neither of which will really tell us that much), we could try to look at the family to work out relationships and why the child went to the Jones's. (IF that is what you are trying to find out?)

Offline cispt2

• RootsChat Member
  • HALL of Fenstanton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 February 14 05:30 GMT (UK) »
So I've explored the possible connection to Jones - it's a very good point. I'm not averse to that route but I've tested it. I'm wondering about direct records available such as electoral rolls (I'm Australian so know such things can be informative).

Jones family not on this street in 1911, and appeared in directories as described above.

Eveline BRIGHT was born to Sarah Ann Alice BRIGHT in 1915. I have the bc (born Bette Orchard House), and mother was living at Colwall at the time (in 1911 Sarah was a gs in Colwall, so possibly same address).

Geoffrey R BRIGHT was born to Alice Sarah Ann BRIGHT (we know it's same mother) in 1918. I have the bc. Born and mother living at 1 Frith Villas, Upper Chase Road, Great Malvern. Mother a domestic servant.

Sarah Ann BRIGHT died Sep 1920 at Hilltop Hospital. Sarah was of 'No 1 Upper Chase Road Malvern, spinster, domestic servant'. Informant was an aunt who adopted Geoffrey (son).

We know that Eveline (daughter) was adopted by a Mr and Mrs Jones of Upper Chase in Malvern (personal correspondence), and raised/renamed as May JONES.

It is the period on Upper Chase, and the JONES family, I'm interested in.

Tracking down Sarah's background took a number of years' work and you can read it here:
http://randomfh.blogspot.com/2011/06/girl-called-alice.html
Her death cert is here:
http://randomfh.blogspot.com/2012/01/death-certificate-of-alice-bright-1894.html

thanks,
matt

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 February 14 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Looking at some old maps of the area, on an 1886 map I see that the fairly modest houses (semis) which you can still see today, were named "Villas".
As an example, the one at the end of Upper Chase on the corner of Pickersleigh Road was called Sandown Villas.
I will see if I can find Frith Villas.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 February 14 05:45 GMT (UK) »
I see you have done a lot of research. As Geoffrey went to an aunt, you would assume Eveline would go to family as well.

If Sarah Ann gave her address as I Frith Villas there must be a connection between her and the Jones's. It's just a matter of trying to find it.

Any clue about who the father is? It did cross my mind that there may be a connection via him?

Alternatively, as she was a domestic servant, perhaps she worked for them and they took on the child after her death?  :-\

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 February 14 06:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to have gone off on a tangent. I can see many of the semi detached houses given the name of "Villa" but cannot see Frith Villas on the 1886 town plan. Still we have an idea of style of house (some are three stories).

Yes, I think there are electoral rolls, possibly on Ancestry (though unsure of coverage and completeness), but I'm not sure of entitlement or compulsion to register. (I'm sure someone will know). Still, all you will really learn is when the Jones turn up at that address and when they leave. I don't know if there will be much to enable you to cross check that you have the right Jones's (occupation for example) if they are living elsewhere, if your plan is to follow their movements. I still don't see how you will make a Jones/Bright connection via electoral rolls.

I will be interested to see what others can dig up.