Author Topic: Casualty list 1st day of the Somme 1916  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Casualty list 1st day of the Somme 1916
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with your earlier comment & should perhaps have made myself clearer.  I meant that even in the same place of battle there could be situations where later casualties were reported first, as in the example given. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 December 14 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Could I ask if it is possible to access the casualty/wounded  lists online?
Fortunately both my grandfathers survived WW1 but I am told they were both injured at some time or another. It would be good to know the details.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 December 14 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Could I ask if it is possible to access the casualty/wounded  lists online?
Fortunately both my grandfathers survived WW1 but I am told they were both injured at some time or another. It would be good to know the details.

They are available with a sub to the Genealogist but others may know of non-subscription sites. 

If you have your grandfather's names and service No's I'm happy to do a look-up although as mentioned in this thread, the dates are the publication dates, not the date they were injured.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 December 14 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the offer, Jumot.
I only have the name, regiment and home address of one man and the name, number, regiment and town of the other.
Unfortunately, no dates when they might have been injured or where.
Does this make it too big a task for you to seek the information?

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 December 14 15:24 GMT (UK) »
JUst in case you can do it, here are the names and details:
Ernest Armitage, of Holmfirth, West Yorks, Pte. 29224, Duke of Wellington's West Riding Rgt.( 1st/5th)
John Albert Hill of Lockwood, Huddersfield, no number, again in the "Dukes".
Anything on Joseph West, of Byker Newcastle upon Tyne, 2nd Tyneside Scottish, 21st Northumbrians would also be gratefully received.
Thanks again.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 December 14 17:50 GMT (UK) »
I haven't done very well unfortunately.

Cant find anything for 29224 Ernest Armitage although as I'm sure you'll know, there was someone of the same name & same regiment who was killed in 1915. 

Nothing either for John Albert Hill.  There was a J Hill, 28748, Duke of Wellington's Regiment reported wounded 11th January 1918 but having searched other records it looks like this was Joseph Hill of Sunderland.

Joseph West is an odd one.  There was a L/Cpl J West of the Northumberland Fusiliers reported on 7 November 1917 under Service No. 37608, only I cant find any other records matching that name and number.  I've checked the original page and it isn't a transcription error, so unfortunately all I can tell you is that this particular J West was said to have enlisted at Blyth.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help :(

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 December 14 19:41 GMT (UK) »
THank you very much for taking the time to do the research.
I can only deduce that Ernest and John Albert were only slightly injured. I'm only going on what I was told a long time ago.
Joseph was worth a look, though we don't know if he was injured or not.
Maybe finding nothing is in itself some kind of information - ultimately my men were lucky to have survived at all.
Again, your help is much appreciated.