Author Topic: Links between Essex and Shropshire?  (Read 1227 times)

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Links between Essex and Shropshire?
« on: Thursday 18 December 14 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hey all,

So there is a branch of my family tree which is almost entirely from around the Shropshire/Staffordshire border. I was very surprised to discover an ancestor in that part of the tree who was born in Essex!

David Edwards was my 5xgreat grandfather, born c1771 in Essex. He married my 5xgreat grandmother Mary Kerry on the 2nd of May 1797 in Ryton, Shropshire. The couple lived there for the rest of their lives.

What I can't understand is how a poor, agricultural labourer without much money to his name would have managed to travel all the way from Essex to Shropshire before 1797. Were there any links between the two counties that could account for such a journey?

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Links between Essex and Shropshire?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 December 14 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hey all,

So there is a branch of my family tree which is almost entirely from around the Shropshire/Staffordshire border. I was very surprised to discover an ancestor in that part of the tree who was born in Essex!

David Edwards was my 5xgreat grandfather, born c1771 in Essex. He married my 5xgreat grandmother Mary Kerry on the 2nd of May 1797 in Ryton, Shropshire. The couple lived there for the rest of their lives.

What I can't understand is how a poor, agricultural labourer without much money to his name would have managed to travel all the way from Essex to Shropshire before 1797. Were there any links between the two counties that could account for such a journey?

Maybe he joined a group of drovers on their way back to Wales.

Offline olleym

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 December 14 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Ironworks?

Mark
Olleys in Essex

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 December 14 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Well he's always listed as working as a general agricultural labourer so travelling with work is always possible.

I've just found the actual document for his and Mary's marriage in 1797. As expected, David and Mary are both illiterate (marking 'x' as signatures) - but the two witnesses are a William and Mary Nutt. Their names are actually signed - in better handwriting than the minister! Makes me wonder who these educated people were witnessing the wedding. Perhaps employers?

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 December 14 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Or just people who were around - maybe there for the previous or next wedding of the day!
Or friends, or Church warden and wife.
We can only guess.

My experience is that our ancestors travelled around a lot more than the myth "that they didnt go far in those days" suggests.

Young people were still adventurous. Maybe David, having grown up in an ag lab world in Essex, decided to venture further, ended up in Shropshire, but as is the same today, he discovered that the grass wasnt really greener on the other side so he just ended up ag labbing there instead.
Again we can only guess.

It always amuses me when people say "my family came from xxxx", because the chances are when you get back further they may actually have come from yyyyy, and even then you dont know what happened in previous generations.  I do it myself though, say my family came from xxxx, but what I ought to add is that that is where they were in  the xth century.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile