Author Topic: William Wass Ripon  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Amanda61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Wass Ripon
« on: Saturday 16 August 14 23:39 BST (UK) »
I can't find my ancestor William Wass on the 1901 census. he was born in 1880 in Ripon, WR Yorkshire, son of Lucy Ann Wass nee Porteous, born and Henry Wass. Lucy Ann was born in Berwick upon Tweed in 1849, Henry Wass born Nottinghamshire 1850. Henry's occupation was a Hawker/scissor grinder/ cutler. William was in the 1891 census at Jepsons Hospital Ripon, a charity run home for orphaned boys/wayward boys. Family rumour has it that he murdered his wife in Ripon and disappeared, but he is on the 1911 census living with a wife and children in Hartlepool. The family were in Ripon workhouse in the 1880's as Williiams father Henry deserted them and went to Ireland with another woman, he is on the Irish census of 1901 living in Cork with a 'wife' Helen. I have all other information about William except the 1901 census and would love to know where he was living at that time, whether he was in prison or abroad but just can't find him.
Any help would be very welcome   :)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: William Wass Ripon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 August 14 01:28 BST (UK) »
one reason for chaps born in that timeframe not being in the 1901 census,,is service in the Boer war,,,but I have looked at his WW1 service record,,and he states no previous service,,so I guess we can rule that out. ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Raydhk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hartman Kok D.E.I Traders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 August 14 04:02 BST (UK) »
I can't find my ancestor William Wass on the 1901 census. he was born in 1880 in Ripon, WR Yorkshire, son of Lucy Ann Wass nee Porteous, born and Henry Wass. Lucy Ann was born in Berwick upon Tweed in 1849, Henry Wass born Nottinghamshire 1850. Henry's occupation was a Hawker/scissor grinder/ cutler. William was in the 1891 census at Jepsons Hospital Ripon, a charity run home for orphaned boys/wayward boys. Family rumour has it that he murdered his wife in Ripon and disappeared, but he is on the 1911 census living with a wife and children in Hartlepool.

Hi Amanda

I had a look for your William Wass and found an Army enlistment for him dated 3/Sept/1914 with the Northampton Regt. Labour Corps. The strange thing is he gives his DOB in 1917 as Ripon 24/08 1873 but his age in 1914 as 34 years 14 months.  He says his wife is Eliza Mary Watt (spinster) and if injured to contact Mrs Palmer 68 Hart St. Central Estate, in Hartlepool, but later papers (1917) show his wifes maiden name as Eliza Mary Eley, who he married in Retford Notts. 26/10/1903.  She is living at 2 Birks Yard Retford with three children William Robert, Henry and Lucy. This is confirmed in the 1911 census minus Lucy born 19/12/1914. 

Eliza Mary Eley did marry John Thomas Watt in 3q of 1902 but he died in the 2q of 1903 and she did marry William in Retford in the 4q of 1903 boy they were fast workers no wonder they made a fast getaway to Nottinghamshire. His cause of death may be worth a good look.  With this in mind I would guess that as Williams' occupation is given as shipbuilding labourer he was working in Hartlepool around 1901 and would have known Eliza Mary and his army contact also being in Hartlepool would add weight to this thought. Maybe he was living with the Palmers in 1901 or she may be a family relative. 

Hope this helps

Ray Hartman Kok (Raydhk)
Webb, King, Braisher, Radwell, and all Clophill residents, Bedfordshire, Hartman Kok, Prussia, Brandenberg, Saxony, Netherlands, Indonesia, America,

Offline Amanda61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 August 14 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for that. I have Williams military record, but I may not have the full set as I can't remember Eliza's names as Eley. I still have her as Watt so I will update that side of the tree. I may try to search for Mrs Palmer and see if he was living there. It makes me wonder why he would lie about his age to the military, maybe there is something dark in his history, I tried looking for any information about him in the old gazettes in Ripon library but the print on the microfilm was just too small to make any sense of. I also thought he could've been in the Boer war and am surprised he wasn't, his brother Henry was, he died in Kroonstaad South Africa in 1902.
If I find him I'll let you know.

Thanks again,

Mandy Wass.

Offline Amanda61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 August 14 09:51 BST (UK) »
A bit of an update, I haven't yet found William in 1901 but I've found Eliza Mary Eley, she is a housemaid in Hartlepool at the residence of William and Mary Palmer, so that would be where the Palmer link fits in, her name is just Mary Eley on the census.

Will keep searching.

Mandy.

Offline Amanda61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 August 14 09:17 BST (UK) »
Have done some further digging, I was curious as to why William and Eliza went to East Retford to marry. Williams father Henry (who ran away to Ireland with another woman leaving his family who ended up in the workhouse in Ripon, my great grandad was born in there) came from Notts, his parents still lived there along with his siblings. The witnesses at Williams wedding were William and Lucy Bell, Lucy was Williams aunty, sister of father Henry. The family moved back to Hartlepool at the end of the war and lived in Darlington St. William was in the labour corps but was stationed in Britain. After his death in 1928 his wife wrote to the war office to get medals due, none were forthcoming as he didn't serve abroad. I still haven't found William on the 1901 census.
I have ordered the death cert for John Thomas Watt as I'm curious as to how he died.
Will let you know what the outcome is.
Mandy.

Offline Raydhk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hartman Kok D.E.I Traders
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 September 14 11:04 BST (UK) »
I still haven't found William on the 1901 census.
I have ordered the death cert for John Thomas Watt as I'm curious as to how he died.
Will let you know what the outcome is.
Mandy.
[/quote]

That's great news!!  I will be interested in his death. 
I've been busy myself but if I get the chance I might find time to look around for William.

Regards

Ray
Webb, King, Braisher, Radwell, and all Clophill residents, Bedfordshire, Hartman Kok, Prussia, Brandenberg, Saxony, Netherlands, Indonesia, America,

Offline Amanda61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 September 14 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray, the cause of death for John Thomas Watt was Intestinal obstruction (6 days) due to diverticulum exhaustion. So nothing sinister there. What is interesting though is that his wife Eliza wasn't at the death, his father was. he died in Hartlepool hospital.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 March 16 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am researching George Hood of Selby, Yorks including where he was buried (died at Selby 18 Sept 1845) and looking at other Yorkshire Hoods and found this about a George Wass, not far from Ripon.

From the York Herald 4th March 1843 ...

Lately, at Baldersby, near Thirsk, aged 77. Mr. George Wass. The deceased had lived in the family of the ______ (unreadable, possibly "late") Mr. Hood, and the present Miss Hood, for 67 years.--- About 20 years ago he gained a premium of five guineas, as a farmers servant who had lived the greatest number of years in his situation.

Apparently, there are two Wass gravestones in Hawnby Churchyard ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=525043.0

Regards Mark