Author Topic: YORK ASSIZES 1823  (Read 3509 times)

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
YORK ASSIZES 1823
« on: Thursday 21 August 14 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi folks
I have found a convict John Purdy, age 32 convicted 15 March 1823 sentenced 14 years to Australia. Index shows his place of origin Slaidford, Edinburgh????  I've asked the York library for more info but it seems they are renovating and records are not handy.   Any advice here, also cannot find this place of origin in any maps.  I have him to be born in 1800 in Batley, so the age is a bit out and there are other discrepancies before I can claim him. Have done a fair bit on him here in Australia, thought newspapers might be good but not available at the moment either.
Cheers
Maxine
Gray, Madigan, Purdy, Churchwood.

Offline carolanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: YORK ASSIZES 1823
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 August 14 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Maxine
I'm looking at the criminal records in Ancestry and can see a conviction for a John Purdy 1799 on the 15th March 1823 York , residence 8 May 1823 Portsmouth he's on board the ship Leviathan. Looking at the original record I can't see anything that mentions Scotland I've saved the document so if you can't find it PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.
Regards Carolanne
Kenworthy- Barnsley area
Horn/Horne- Barnsley-Silkstone-Thurgoland
Booth-Emley-Flockton
Hampshire-Flockton
Moore-Barnsley
Markey-Barnsley

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 August 14 11:12 BST (UK) »
In Portsmouth he would have been waiting to be transported. The Leviathan was a Prison Hulk.

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 August 14 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Thanks so much for your reply folks.  I don't think the JP you found is the man I am searching for. The JP I am honing in on comes from Yorks, born 1800 in Batley. Came to Australia on the Guildford arriving April 1824.  I found him listed on http://www.yorkfamilyhistory.org.uk/resources/york-assizes/york-assizes-surnames-m-to-p and this is where the Scottish 'Place of origin' comes up.         Staidford, Edinburgh.

I'm picking him out as the tree on Ancestry and a reply from the owner tells me this information and I am just checking on his reference.  There are quite a few discrepancies with dates regarding JP and  I am trying to work them out, this is why I would love to see the Assizes reports. A friend
suggested the National archives and I've had a quick glance, it looks a bit daunting.  Ancestry have a lot of our NSW convict records now, so I've checked all of them and found good stuff but still I have to confirm JP is the correct convict, if he is a convict! I'm awaiting another contact from the tree owner.

So I will wait till I hear from the owner before I contact you on the JP you found.

Thanks again, will be in touch. Maxine

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
John Purdy
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 August 14 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi folks
Just found John Purdy on those hulk registers and letter books as I googled the Levithian and found out all about it, so you did have the right man, thank you so very much.

I apologize if I sounded "too smart for my own good"!  So from there he would have gone on the  Guildford and headed out to here. I've never touched these before so one is always learning.  Is this the record you would have found Carolanne?  If you have time check out that link I sent and see the Scottish link.
Regards
Maxine

Offline carolanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 August 14 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hiya Maxine
Yes that is the record I found that mentions the Levithian  I'll write it out what I can see.

Number 6637 Name John Purdy age 24 Offence  Horse Stealing When & Where Convicted 15 March York  Sentence 14yrs How Disposed NSW 25 March 1823.

I've clicked the link you put and can see the printed version but not the actual register because you have to be a member but as you said he's not yours he's too old and comes from Scotland.
Regards Carolanne
Kenworthy- Barnsley area
Booth-Emley-Flockton
Hampshire-Flockton
Moore-Barnsley
Markey-Barnsley

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 August 14 09:54 BST (UK) »
John Purdy was convicted of stealing a horse from Joseph Swale of Kirby Overblow. He was sentenced to death, later commuted to 14 years transportation. Held at York Castle until early May 1823, then sent to the hulks. (York Herald, 10 May 1823, page 3)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carolanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 August 14 10:00 BST (UK) »
That's interesting I've just read that one about being sentenced to death but bypassed it thinking it can't be him so that's more information for Maxine.
Regards Carolanne
Kenworthy- Barnsley area
Booth-Emley-Flockton
Hampshire-Flockton
Moore-Barnsley
Markey-Barnsley

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
JOHN PURDY
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 August 14 05:26 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Me again! thanks for the last bits, I've been puddling around via FindMyPast the Brit newspapers, found  10 May as suggested but what does one do then, up came a page of paper with only a column or two highlighted and I couldn't move the page around to find the article on page 3.

Are the York assizes on line for me to check out also. 

The other Purdy contact has been back to me which is great and he also is a bit unsure that 'our' JP is the convict.  There is a lot of evidence to say yes and some uncertain.  Apparently the York assizes records 'suggest that JP hailed from Edinburgh (obviously the same as the other record)

Thanks people for your help,  Hopefully now I can confer with my new contact and sort our JP out!
Regards

Maxine