Author Topic: WW1 Medals  (Read 575 times)

Offline Carol Mack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
WW1 Medals
« on: Wednesday 24 September 14 17:09 BST (UK) »
I am delighted to have been accepted to march at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday as a civilian in memory of my father and two uncles who served in  France and Belgium during WW1. One uncle died at Passchendaele. I believe I can wear my father's medals, but I wonder if anyone could advise me on how to wear them? I know I must wear them on the right, but in what order and which side should face forward? I don't have them photographed but they are the 3 classic WW1 medals: (1) Bronze colour, star shape, crossed ?bayonets with 1914-15 in the middle, red, white & blue ribbon (2) brass colour round with 'The Great War for Civilisation 1914-1919' in the centre, rainbow coloured ribbon(3) silver colour with the head of King George V, which I believe should face forward, yellow, white, black & blue ribbon.

I would be grateful for any help as I have searched all sorts of places but without any satisfactory results. And I really do mean my father's medals - he was nearly 60 when I was born 65 years ago!!!!

Regards,

Carol

McVitty: Co. Donegal, Canada and Worldwide!
Kilpatrick: Co. Donegal
White: Co.Tyrone/Donegal
Ellison: Co.Tyrone/Donegal
Fleetwood: Yorkshire.
Hassell:London,  Shadrake:London & Essex.
Jenkins/Gardner Devon

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Medals
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 17:55 BST (UK) »
Here are some answers for your medals. The final question is the order in which they are worn.

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/remembrance/how-the-nation-remembers/medals/medal-faqs

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 17:56 BST (UK) »
The full list is here:
http://www.justmedals.com/OrderOfWearUKnow.html

What you have is a 1915 Star; British War Medal, and Victory Medal.
As medals are supposed to be worn oldest first (on your right), then that is the order in which they should be worn.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Carol Mack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 19:02 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you both for your replies and help.

With your information I was also able to find out that the British war medal should be worn with the King's head facing forward and the Victory medal should have the Winged Victory side facing forward.

Hopefully I will now be able to do my old dad proud on the 9th November.

Regards,
Carol
McVitty: Co. Donegal, Canada and Worldwide!
Kilpatrick: Co. Donegal
White: Co.Tyrone/Donegal
Ellison: Co.Tyrone/Donegal
Fleetwood: Yorkshire.
Hassell:London,  Shadrake:London & Essex.
Jenkins/Gardner Devon