Author Topic: John Youdan Briggs b.1903  (Read 3655 times)

Offline Alirat153

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Youdan Briggs b.1903
« on: Saturday 04 January 14 22:08 GMT (UK) »
I am very interested in any information on Youdans from Yorkshire or thereabouts. My grandfather was John Youdan Briggs b.1903, his father was also John Youdan Briggs b.1850, his father was Joseph Briggs b.1804 and mother was Sarah Youdan b.1807. My mother has done a lot of the research via graveyards etc as she was fascinated by the Youdan middle name. She met a Youdan via a graveyard visit and obtained some verbal history. From the story she was told it seemed that Sarah Youdan was cut off from her family, who had lands, for supposedly marrying Joseph Briggs - a farmhand. Her father was Samuel Youdan b.1780 and mother Ann.  This is where the history joins other's family trees and I could follow back Samuel's father, Thomas Youdan b.1729 m. Mary Wilburn; his father John Youdan b.1702 m. Frances Woemack; and his father Thomas Youdan b. 1666 m. Alice Shepeard. All this I have been able to verify through census records and births marriages and deaths records. (I am using the Ancestry websites)

Like everyone else that has researched the Youdans this is where it stops. I have noticed that some have gone the 'Udall' or 'Youdall' route, but I am not convinced.  Following clues from my mother's meeting with the Youdan relative - who seems to have done considerable research herself - the families of the Youdans and Vermuydens overlap in the 1600's.  Where the Vermuydens stop dead the Youdans start - well as far as I can ascertain anyway, and given the political circumstances of the time it seems to me a logical answer to the puzzle that the Vermuydens went to ground and changed their names in order to protect their lives.  Sir Cornelius Vermuyden was given some of the land reclaimed from the Isle of Axholme and there were other projects he would have benefitted from. He worked on reclamation in Hatfield Chase - where the Youdans come from - in 1666.

He was knighted in 1929 by Charles I and in the turmoil of Oliver Cromwells takeover work appears to cease. He did propose a treaty between the Dutch and English to Cromwell (not sure of details) so he seemed to stay involved with the leading figures in England. Then Charless II was reinstated and turmoil between the Dutch and English continued. The Great Fire of London in 1666 was a particularly telling event as in the terror that ensued and the newspaper publisher burning down rumours flew that the Dutch were attacking and foreigners were rounded up and lynched.  Anyway I am continuing with both the Vermuyden and Youdan lines to prove or disprove my theory and any input is helpful.

I also have traced the mysterious Harriet Youdan/Briggs who lived with Samuel and Ann. She was Samuel's granddaughter and my research suggests (although 3 different birth years are recorded in the censuses) she was born on 1826 of Sarah Youdan shortly before her marriage to Joseph Briggs. Harriet subsequently married Robert Masey (their children were all called Macey).
Briggs (UK)
Youdan (UK)
Hutchison (NZ and Scotland)
Davey (NZ)
Daysh (NZ)
Andersen (UK)

Offline hilarybriggs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
John Youdan Briggs b.1903
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 November 14 20:28 GMT (UK) »
How do I contact Aliirat153 who posted a relevant article on John Youdan Briggs on RootsChat on 4th Jan 2014? I am a great granddaughter of John Youdan Briggs born 1850. 
Hilary Briggs

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Youdan Briggs b.1903
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 November 14 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

As a new member you have to make 3 posts before you can contact another member via the Personal Message (PM) system so I have posted a reply on your behalf with a link to your post

topics merged

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 November 14 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Please see

topics merged

A new member is trying to contact you
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 November 14 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alirat153,

Have you seen this post on the Youdan Bible ?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=55468.9

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alirat153

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 December 14 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I haven't been here for a while!  I have contacted the person. I am new to Rootschat too and haven't posted very much...
Briggs (UK)
Youdan (UK)
Davey (NZ)
Daysh (NZ)
Andersen (UK)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 December 14 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi alirat, if you have just sent Hilary a private message she will need to post once more before she is able to reply to you. Regards Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alirat153

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 December 14 21:28 GMT (UK) »

He was knighted in 1929 by Charles I and in the turmoil of Oliver Cromwells takeover work appears to cease. He did propose a treaty between the Dutch and English to Cromwell (not sure of details) so he seemed to stay involved with the leading figures in England.

Of course I meant 1629! Just reread this and saw my typo...ooops. I can't go back and edit such an old post, maybe a moderator could?

Edited to put the date I meant.. What a wally I am.
Briggs (UK)
Youdan (UK)
Davey (NZ)
Daysh (NZ)
Andersen (UK)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 December 14 21:52 GMT (UK) »
I think you meant 1629 (?).
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.