Author Topic: Annie Woods b. C.1851  (Read 4650 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Annie Woods b. C.1851
« on: Saturday 06 December 14 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello my fellow Aussie Rootschatters,
I have hit a brick wall with my 2x great grandmother, Annie Woods.
What I know:in all records as "Annie", she was born c.1851 in Australia, according to her death certificate ("native born"), and married in 1868 to a Robert Meyler (in index as "Megler"). After two children, (Clara) Agnes and Stanley, they seem to have separated. By 1879, Annie was "married" to Peter Carrington, by whom she had two daughters. In 1881, she was taken to Kapunda Hospital, and gave premature birth to a baby on the way. Unfortunately both mother and baby died.
What I would like to know: where Annie was born (her father is given as Daniel on her marriage certificate with Robert Meyler); and any details of her parents.
There is a Daniel Woods in the death index in 1907, but at this stage I don't see the point of purchasing the certificate. I have found a Daniel Wood (no s) marrying a Harriet McBrady in 1849, which caught my attention due to her Christian name. This couple only have one child in the indexes I could find, a daughter in 1859. My current thinking is that they possibly had more children, just not registered. But how can I prove this?
Open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Woods b. C.1851
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 December 14 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Possibly
Birth... Anna WOODS, Father Samuel WOODS, Mother Jane MULLEN, Year 1845, Place Adelaide
Ref # 1/119

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 December 14 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Neil, but at the moment I'm ruling that one out, as Annie's father is listed as Daniel on her 1868 marriage certificate.
Some extra data: the Harriet McBrady I mentioned above is also listed as McBrierty. I have only just found a Daniel Wood in the Qld death index in 1919, son of Daniel Wood and Harriet McBrierty.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 December 14 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Can you please give all the information on the marriage certificate, 1868, that you have.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 December 14 03:51 GMT (UK) »
I don't have the actual certificate unfortunately, only the info from the index. I only found about the marriage to Robert Meyler through a newspaper article on Trove, regarding the inquest into Annie's death. Until then I was puzzled why I couldn't find a marriage for her and her "husband", my ancestor.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 December 14 04:30 GMT (UK) »
Have you found the marriage of Peter CARRINGTON to Charlotte DRINKWATER (1853 15/229) with whom he had four children. 1852 Peter, b1854 David D1856, 1858 Peter? b1860 Benjamin d1873.

Then there is the Birth and death of a Peter Carrington 1881 along with the mother Annie Carrington. BUT no Marriage to date. and no death of a Charlotte CARRINGTON.

In 1893 (busy year for Peter) there is the death of a Edith Alice with a Peter as the father and Jane Magor as the mother? Also a Roy Carrington with a Peter Carrington as father and a death of a Jane Carrington with a Peter Carrington as the Husband.

Then in 1934 there is a cemetery listing for a Female CARRINGTON at Kadina cemetery.??

Neil

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 December 14 04:34 GMT (UK) »
Isn't this a touch misleading ::)

"Thanks Neil, but at the moment I'm ruling that one out, as Annie's father is listed as Daniel on her 1868 marriage certificate."

and

"I don't have the actual certificate unfortunately, only the info from the index."

NEIL :-\

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 December 14 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Info to enable others to help. 

If Annie's age is accurate on her marriage certificate then I would suggest she was born c1850 and if born in South Australia her birth wasn't registered. 

MEGLER Robert  31 years  Status single  Father John MEGLER
WOODS Annie  18 years  Status single  Father Daniel WOODS
2 Mar 1868
At Presbyterian Manse Flinders St Adelaide   Ade 75/3

Births
MEYLER Agnes
3 Aug 1869
Father Robert MEYLER  Mother Annie WOODS
At Clare   Cla 75/198

MEYLER Stanley John
13 Dec 1872
Father Robert MEYLER  Mother Annie WOODS
At Hanson  Cla 115/558

Annie eldest dau stated that she has two stepsisters. 

Birth of child on the train who died the next day.
CARRINGTON Peter
18 May 1881
Father not recorded    Mother Annie CARRINGTON
Birth place not recorded  Kap 261/426

This news report rings a bell with me.  Have we helped you previously?

South Australian Register 24 May 1881
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article43156974
AN EXTRAORDINARY CASE.
CORONER'S INQUEST.
On Saturday morning, May 21, Mr. J. Elliott, J.P., held, an enquiry at the Hospital, Kapunda, respecting the death of a woman named Annie Carrington, who had been prematurely confined
in the train whilst being taken from Morgan to Kapunda by Police-trooper Waters. Mr. E. Riley was foreman of the Jury. John K. Ewens, corporal in charge of the Morgan Station, deposed that the body was that of a woman whom he had known at Morgan during the last three or four months. She represented herself to be a married woman, her husband being imprisoned in Redruth Gaol. She had four children, and being in destitute circumstances had been provided with Government rations. Her character was not good. On Thursday, the 12th, deceased's little girl re ported that her mother was ill......................

Clara Agne Meyler, ten years old, deposed that deceased was her mother. Witness's father was dead, and her mother had married again, her name being Annie Carrington. Mr. Carrington had not lived with them at Morgan, but did so at the Burra before they came to Morgan. He was at present in the Burra Hospital, so her mother said...........

Her mother had received a letter stating that witness's father was dead. She had an uncle in Queensland, and the late Dr. Webb, of Clare, was also her uncle....................

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 December 14 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Death

MEYLER Stanley  11 years  Status Child  Relative Peter CARRINGTON [Step Father]
14 Sep 1884
Residence Magill  Death Place Adelaide  Ade H 141/19

Symbol H indicates the deat was in a hospital or place of care.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk