Author Topic: Salmon. Brickwall crumbling. Where next?  (Read 4160 times)

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Salmon. Brickwall crumbling. Where next?
« on: Friday 22 August 14 09:47 BST (UK) »
William Joseph Salmon and May Price were married at Christ Church, Sparkbrook in 1913 and a son, Reginald. was born in 1915. May died in 1916, after which William vanished, leaving Reginald to be raised by his maternal grandmother.

A recently acquired copy of William and May's marriage cert showd that William's father was also named William Joseph and a search for the older William revealed a family with the correct details living in Montague Road, Smethwick in 1911. It also showed where the older William was born, leading us on a long trail back to the 1760s, which we now need to confirm.

However, records also show that a William Joseph Salmon married Nellie Williams in Smethwick in 1917 and that they had one son, James Alfred (1922-2006). William's death was registered in Birmingham in 1970. I am awaiting a copy of their marriage certificate but wonder whether anyone can help me devise a foolproof strategy to determine whether these two William Josephs are one and the same.

I can find no record of another William Joseph Salmon in or around Birmingham during the relevant period.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Keith

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Salmon. Brickwall crumbling. Where next?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 August 14 09:55 BST (UK) »
On the 1917 marriage cert, is the William Joseph a widower, and with the same father and same occupation (or same sort of line of work) as the one from the earlier marriage? Does he marry from a familiar address (like the one where Reginald was born or May died)

If none of these tie up at all, it would seem you have two different men. If most do tie up, then I would say it is the same person remarrying!

Also, when William Joseph dies, does he leave a Will? If it mentions child fromn first marriage and child(and wife) from second, that also gives you proof.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 August 14 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,

At the moment I am waiting for a copy of the 1917 marriage cert in the hope that it will provide the details you mention. Research has shown that there were three William Joseph Salmons born in 1887, one in London, one in Leamington and one in Cornwall. The one born in Leamington is still there in 1911 and the one from Cornwall appears never to have left the county, so that present indications are that the two marriages concern the same man. I just need to prove it.

Regards,

Keith

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 August 14 15:28 BST (UK) »
Could there be 2 more children in 1925 & 29.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 August 14 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Jim,

It's entirely possible, though the Birmingham South registrations would have meant a move right across the city at some point.

There is a published family tree showing just one child for the couple but again it's possible that the owner doesn't have all the information - any more than I do.

I have been looking for William Joseph Salmon for over five years and am now almost certain I'm on the right track. Hopefully the Salmon/Williams marriage cert will provide confirmation and provide my wife with a real idea of who she is and where she came from.

Regards,

Keith

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 September 14 12:52 BST (UK) »
I now have the requisite certs which prove conclusively that there was only one William Joseph Salmon and that the '25 and '29 births you found, Jim, were related.

Having trouble reading cause of death for his first wife, May Price. Might put that on deciphering forum.

Thank you both for your help.

Keith

Offline garth1288

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 January 15 21:28 GMT (UK) »
my great grandad was called william joseph salmon and was a councillor in smethwick,my grandad was also called james salmon and died in 2006 my great nan was called nellie williams too

Offline garth1288

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 January 15 21:47 GMT (UK) »
my great grandad was william joseph salmon,my grandad was james alfred salmon who died in 2006 and was married to marjorie salmon (i don't know her maiden name) nellie williams was my great grandmother ,what exactly is it you are trying to trace?

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 January 15 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Garth,

Thanks for the posts. Because I'm dealing with living people it's difficult to explain what I'm looking for here. Please post just one more message to this thread in order that I may semd you a peronal message containing a full explanation. I think it will interest you.

Keith