Author Topic: What does "Pensioned Store Sergeant" mean?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline HarrisonHart

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What does "Pensioned Store Sergeant" mean?
« on: Wednesday 10 December 14 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Before I continue - there are other threads by me on the PERSON this pertains to, in the Dublin boards and general boards.  However this is a specific military question.

I'm hoping someone can help me understand what sequence of events has occured here:

If someone was in the military in some way in c1830s/40s,

and then was listed as a "Store Sergeant" between c 1845 and 1855, (aged 33 to 43)

and there after was referred to as a "Pensioned Store sergeant" between 1855 and 1872, (aged 43 to 60)

at which point he turned 60 and was entered in a Pension record book as "Time Expired and Dischaged to Pension",
what has occured?

Is it that in 1855 he had done enough time to qualify for the pension?  Or was he actually receiving a pension from 1855 and was simply entered in the book aged 60 as a matter of due course. 
In 1872, when he was entered in the pension book as discharged for "time expired & to pension" it does note that he was 'first entered in 1855' (which matches other records calling him pensioned store sergeant - eg childrens birth records after 1855).

We are trying to figure out if he was pensioned early for some reason, or if that title simply meant he had done enough time to qualify for the pension once he turned 60.
Angela, Perth, West Australia.

Harrison: Garston (L'pool), Dublin, Athlone, (Irl), Madras/Chennai and Burma (British India/India) and Sth Africa, and Australia.
Hart: Garston and Woolton (UK), Roscommon (Irl).
McC(h)rystal: Garston, Wigan, Desertmartin (Nrthn Irl), Canada, USA, Australia
Miller: Garston and ?Ireland/?Wales
Jones: Garston and ?Ireland/?Wales
Boyle: (Derry, Irl)
Gill: Garston L'pool UK, and Ireland.
Cannon: Woolton and Roscommon
Callaghan: Unknown.
And more.

Offline HarrisonHart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: What does "Pensioned Store Sergeant" mean?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 13:02 GMT (UK) »
PS this person was working in the military in British India, Madras, between before c1843 and after c1866.  Their forwarding address when entered in a pension book aged 60 in 1872 was not in Madras, but in Dublin, Ireland.

Harrison: Garston (L'pool), Dublin, Athlone, (Irl), Madras/Chennai and Burma (British India/India) and Sth Africa, and Australia.
And more.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 14:38 GMT (UK) »
If he was working in India before the Mutiny in 1857, then he was working for one of the East India Company Armys.

The British Army only took over after the Mutiny - and the dust had settled!

So he was in one of the Presidency Army's: Bengal, Madras and Bombay.

FindMyPast (to which I no longer have a subscription) offer some records.
Others are available at www.fibis.org (Families in British India Society).

More complete records are available at The British Library, India Office section - but you may have to pay a visit to see them? ::)
http://indiafamily.bl.uk/ui/IorIntro.aspx
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 14:55 GMT (UK) »
It was very common for soldiers (especially NCOs) after they were discharged to pension from the army to obtain employment with sister departments, such as the Commissariat and the Barrack Department. This sounds like a job with the former.

You should look on Findmypast for his army service. The information about his pension is very likely to refer to his service with the Commissariat. They had many locations around the Empire, including Dublin. Where does this information come from?

The National Archives does not appear to have details of individual appointments, and only officers are recorded in Army Lists. The NA does have 'letter books' for the Dublin depot which record correspondence. But they end about 1847. They are not online.

You should contact this museum - http://www.armymuseums.org.uk/museums/0000000107-Royal-Logistic-Corps-Museum.htm

The 1850 Army List gives the Depots it controls. The only one in the East Indies is Mauritius so it would confirm that the EIC would be responsible for India proper.

Ken

Offline HarrisonHart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 16:23 GMT (UK) »
So he was in one of the Presidency Army's: Bengal, Madras and Bombay.
Yes Madras.

On find my past I found his pension record from 1872.  Also 2 marriages, 12 childrens births, 2 childrens deaths in infancy, and both wives deaths.  No service record as yet.
This is a repost from another thread, apologies:
The findmypast regimental/service record I think I have, its the pension record that lead me to Dublin.
It has the following info:
Regiment: Store Sergeant Madras Unattached List
Number on Pension List: 539
Name: Abraham Harrison
Rate: 2/-
Date of Admission to Pension: 29 April 1872 in (cant transcribe word) but from 20 March 1872. Was Admitted in Madras in 1855, first june.
Service in any other corps: 1 M.L.R (I think thats what it says)
Cause of Discharge: Time Expired & To Pension
Residence: Summer Street Dublin
Pension to commence: 1 May 1872
Remarks: Lre to W.O. 2/5/72

On Fibis aghadowey from rootschat found a brief mention of Abraham:
Madras Monthly Muster List- 1 Jan.1841, Regiment    A' Co. 2d Madras European Regt.: Abraham Harrison

Back to Find My Past, on his firsts wifes marriage cert, it almost looks like he is a Corporal ?? E. Regt.

On his eldest childs birth certificate his occupation is:
(not sure I can transcribe it correctly)
Serj 6/" 1st/" E. R. Fusileers

After that he is generally a Store Sergeant, until 1855 when he becomes a pensioned store sergeant.  In 1865 upon the death of a child he is called a Jailor.  It is my understanding that NCO's were sometimes working as police proper, rather than in military duties.

some of the documents (only some) Ive found are listed here:
https://harrisonmccrystal.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/abrahammatildachaplainmadrasmarriage.jpg

And more.

Offline HarrisonHart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 December 14 03:13 GMT (UK) »
I woke up in the middle of the night and realised I had not said a huge thank you to KGarrad and KM1971 for providing all those leads for me to follow up, and the understanding of the information given.

And more.