Author Topic: US Drafts  (Read 727 times)

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
US Drafts
« on: Friday 19 December 14 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Is anyone able to look-up 2 US draft entries please.

WW1-Homer De Hamner b  Indiana

WW2-Homer Dee Hanmer b Indiana

Mainly,I'm curious as to whether they give any indication of service in UK.

Many thanks, Eric
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: US Drafts
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 December 14 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Registration for draft doesn't mean that a man served in that particular war. Enlistment and service records are an entirely different matter.

Any idea when Homer was born? There's a WWII (1942) draft registration card for a Homer de Hamner born 27 May 1890 Garette, Indiana but living in Washington State. A WWI draft registration card for the same man is dated 5 June 1917 (birthplace Garrett, Indiana).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 December 14 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

That's the man. He was born in Indiana, 1890, but moved to Washington State.

On the 1930 Census he indicates he served in WW1 and that's all I know. I don't know what info these records give and I was curious as to whether they gave any indication as to what, if anything, he did in the 2 wars.

I know he came to the UK in 1920 and went back with a woman who he then married. Just wondered if there might be a connection.
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 December 14 01:12 GMT (UK) »
As aghadowey states the US Draft is not a service record. The purpose is to locate the draftees in case they need to be called up for service. The questions are normally, name, address, place and date of birth, whether married, name of employer and type of employment. Next of Kin. It sill exists. When I was at the (US) Post Office getting my Christmas mail off today and the forms for the Draft are still there. Today as in WWI and WW2 men only. One of the last bastions of discrimination.

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 December 14 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Not to worry. Just wondered if they may have thrown up something of interest, although I'm pretty sure I do have the answer.

Thanks, Eric