Author Topic: Mispelt name and no marriage??  (Read 4114 times)

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Mispelt name and no marriage??
« on: Thursday 23 March 06 09:29 GMT (UK) »
I'm getting quite far with my family tree, and I'm very pleased, but theres just one person doing my head in! 

I have found my nan and 3 of her sisters on the BMD part of ancestry.  Finding my nan and her youngest sister was easy, her eldest sister was harder as we had always been told she was born in 1914 - when infact she was born in 1911.

The other two were complicated as they died before my mother was born and my nan would never speak of them. 

We recieved information from my second cousin in America who informed us the year that they died and they had married.  My cousin had noted that the one sister, Evelyn, died when she was 30 in 1947.  This would have meant she was born the same year as my nan and as far as we knew my nan was not a twin.  We had always thought she was much younger.  She was born the year before my nan.  We had also been searching for the wrong name in this case, as my nan remarried in 1920.  Her first name was also wrong!  I thought, sorted, Lucy will be easy to find now.

How wrong can a girl be!  We were told she died in 1943, but I found her death in 1940, aged 18.  So, she would have been born around 1921/1922.  But no luck.  When she died she was using her supposed husbands surname.  The only marriage I have found for her husband is to a Edna Haines! Not a Lucy Machin.  My mom had a theory that, Lucy may not have married, but had moved in with her partner and took his name.  But my aunty, who we are going to see for the first time in years today, said she has a picture of Lucys wedding!

I've tried every misspelling of Machin I can think of, and nothing.  I cannot find her birth!  And then theres the marriage - the marriage I found was in 1938, making Lucy at least 16 - is it possible she used another name to marry him?  The person she married was part of a wealthy family who owned a carpet buisness.  Although when she died, her father brought the grave for her - not her partner and his wealthy family. 

It's puzzling me so much, she's such a mystery!  HOw else can I go about this? 

Also, I've searched for a birth of Edna Haines around the same time as Lucy and found nothing, I've also searched for a death of Edna Hearnshaw from 1938-1940 and found nothing. 
Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams
Buckinghamshire - Burrows, Woodward, Adams
Ireland (Dublin/Malahide/Cork) - O'Driscoll, Henvy, Gallaghan

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Mispelt name and no marriage??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 March 06 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prozac,

This looks complicated! What does Lucy's death cert say?

Tanja  :)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 March 06 10:05 GMT (UK) »
We don't have it yet, I found her death on ancestry BMD.  Lucy Hearnshaw, aged 18, West Bromwich, all the information fits right.  Except the fact that there is no marriage between Lucy and mr Hearnshaw!  :(
Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 March 06 10:19 GMT (UK) »
prozac,

You've really titillated the imagination of this RC puzzler for one.

But I think we are going to have to wait for the results of the visit to your Aunt with evidence of Lucy's wedding and perhaps some more information, and also the details of Lucy's death cert when you get it (though the latter probably won't help).

When you return, some fuller details of your Nan and the rest of the family might help.  And have you tried EARNSHAW as well as HEARNSHAW ...

I have some very strange records of rells who used all sorts of names which were not those they were given at birth ...

Good luck,

JAP

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 March 06 10:27 GMT (UK) »
I haven't tried Eeanshaw, just Hernshaw and Henshaw.  I'll give that one a try!

I think I will have to wait until I see this picture.  I just hope this visit is worthwhile! 

Thank you, I hope I can offer more information to help later on. :)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 March 06 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Get away to your aunt's quickly! I too am puzzled. I have tried a few searches but can't even find Mr Hearnshaw's 1938 marriage so I'm not much use!
I hate to ask this - but are you sure that Lucy Hearnshaw of the death certificate is your Lucy Machin? Presumably your aunt will be able to fill in some details. I do hope so. Please let us know.
best wishes
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 March 06 11:01 GMT (UK) »
'Mr Hearnshaw' sounds so very much like 'Mr Earnshaw' of "Wuthering Heights" that one has to be fascinated ...  And 'Henshaw' almost a reminder of 'Henchard' in "The Mayor of Casterbridge" ...

And I went to school with a girl who was one of a family of 5 MACHIN girls ...

Prozac, I just hope that your Aunt has much information to offer.

JAP

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 March 06 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Could this be her?
Jan ;)

Lucy O Machin Greenwich Vol1d Pg1416 Dec qtr 1922 mother's maiden-name Gosham
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 March 06 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Well, it helped a little.

My aunty showed me a wedding photo of Lucy, and told us that Lucy died at least 6 months after she married.  Meaning her marriage is between 1939 and the beginning of 1940?

I'm 95% positive the Lucy Hearnshaw I found is her, we know she died at 18, we know she was living in West Bromwich and we know she married Frank Hearnshaw.  We were told 1943 by my great uncle in America, but he is only related by marriage and is quite old now, so dates could easily be mixed up. 

And no, that Lucy is not her.  Her mothers maiden name is Burrows, and her birth will be in Birmingham/Kings Norton/West Bromwich.

I may attempt to visit her grave next week, if I can find it.