Author Topic: Robert Edward Dowding MBE JP  (Read 1919 times)

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Robert Edward Dowding MBE JP
« on: Saturday 01 November 14 21:33 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping someone can help me find the marriage of my ancestor who went to East London, South Africa in 1901.

He was the Town Clerk in East London and was awarded the MBE for his services during WW1. He was also a JP and a Freemason for 26 years.

According to the Gloucester Citizen of 25th May 1928 he was taken ill with a suspected tropical disease and was advised to return to England for treatment.
He died shortly after arrival from a heart attack.

He left a wife and four children.

I know nothing about him after he left England other than the newspaper report of his death.

Poirot
brown,henshaw in cheshire,berry,dowding,phillips in gloucester, littlejohn,arkle,nicol in aberdeenshire.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Edward Dowding MBE JP
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 November 14 22:53 GMT (UK) »
If you go to this link http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SOUTH-AFRICA-IMMIGRANTS-BRITISH/2012-08/1344315150 open it and look at entries 643,644 you will see the baptism dates for his 2 daughters. Note it tells you at the top of the page when you open it how to view the entry on Familysearch. I found this info as well http://www.artefacts.co.za/main/Buildings/bldgframes.php?bldgid=11294

Regards Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 November 14 16:07 GMT (UK) »
That's brilliant, thank you Derek.

I have found the passenger list for when Robert left the UK and he was single so married Millicent in East London, South Africa.

Cannot find their marriage on familysearch or Ancestry and wondered if there is anywhere else I could look.

Cheers,

Poirot
brown,henshaw in cheshire,berry,dowding,phillips in gloucester, littlejohn,arkle,nicol in aberdeenshire.

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Just had an eureka moment.

I was browsing the UK newspaper collection online and found the following article in the Gloucester Citizen of 27th Feb 1907:-

MARRIAGE OF MR R E DOWDING

The local friends of Mr R E Dowding, JP., Town Clerk of East London, Cape Colony, will be interested to hear of his marriage to Miss Millicent Keam, a Cornish lady. Mr Dowding who was with Mr M F Carter, a solicitor, of Newnham for ten years, went to East London in 1901, was appointed Town Clerk in 1903, and a Justice of the Peace in the following year.
The municipal employees of East London gave Mr Dowding a wedding present in the shape of a handsome onyx and gold clock and a cheque for a substantial amount. This presentation was made by the Mayor, who paid high tribute to Mr Dowding's abilities, remarking that the municipality had advanced by leaps and bounds, largely owing to the harmony which existed between the Town Clerk and his staff. The council had voted him a hundred guineas as a wedding present.

I also found Millicent Keam with her parents on the 1901 census in Cornwall and on the passenger list to South Africa 1/10/1904.

I don't think there is anything more than I need to know now which is great.

Cheers,

Poirot  :D :D