Author Topic: Cabra House, Newton Lane, Chester  (Read 6122 times)

Offline marthaannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • marthaannie
    • View Profile
Re: Cabra House, Newton Lane, Chester
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 July 13 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hello ceeceedon
I have three entries from the Chester City Chronicle re the death of your grandfather Major Glover, 5th and 12th June 1920.
I found them very interesting and informative to the life of Major Glover, mentioning one son in Canada!
Will send to you by email as they are too long to place on the message board.
After reading through, should you wish me to look up anything at Chester Record Office, please ask.
marthaannie

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 July 13 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hello ceeceedon
Listed in the Electoral Register Years 1919 and 1920 for Newton Lane, Cabra House is situated between Shenley and Grove House, no house numbers listed.
Shenley is now Shenley Lodge Bed & Breakfast No. 6 Newton Lane, which has a lovely photograph on their website.
Next door is Chester Brooklands No. 8 Newton Lane, which also has photograph on their website.
I called at Chester Brooklands and was informed by a very helpful owner that it hadn't been Cabra House previously.
Maybe Cabra is the house to the right of Shenley Lodge, which can be seen on their website?
Next week I will check later Electoral Registers to see if any house numbers appear :)
marthaannie

Very helpful information marthaannie.  :) Might Cabra House have been on the opposite side of the road?

Offline marthaannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • marthaannie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 July 13 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Ruskie & ceeceedon
You could well be right, but as the houses from both sides of the road are in one long list it is difficult to judge.
1919 and 1920 Electoral Register for Newton Lane
(after Shavington Avenue)
Rostherne
Wingard
Ivy Hurst (opposite side to Shenley Lodge, name in concrete gate post)
Endon (as above)
Newton Grange (as above)
Kingsley Hey
Newton Hollows (not listed in 1920)
Grove House
CABRA HOUSE
Shenley (assume now Shenley Lodge) No. 6
Elmdon
The Croft
Newton Hollows
New Bank Cottages
Newton Bank
Lodge, Plas Newton

Chester Brooklands B & B is to the left of Shenley would that have been previously known as Elmdon ???
marthaannie

Offline ceeceedon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 July 13 12:04 BST (UK) »
Marthaannie, Thank you for this information on where Cabra House could be located. The information you are finding for me about my greatgrandfather, H.W. Glover, is unbelievable and greatly appreciated. There are no words to adequately thank you.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 July 13 14:42 BST (UK) »
Marthaannie, At least you have substantially narrowed down the likely location which is very useful.  :)

Offline mtollet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 September 13 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have some information to share with you to answer this once and for all.  I am currently investigating my ancestry and as such have also started trying to trace back on who lived in our house.  I suspect whoever knocked at my door a few weeks ago asking where Cabra House was will have been disappointed when I said it was not here.  A few moments later my wife came in and I mentioned to her and she said this is Cabra House.  8 Newton Lane which we run as a Bed and Breakfast called Chester Brooklands Bed and Breakfast.  Sorry to whoever knocked and so happy I am able to help here.  I have lots of very old transcripts when we purchased the property going back to when the land the property sits on was sold to be built upon.  The names The Right Honourable Ellen Constance Countess of Kilmorey and John Jones of Kilmorey Road, Flookersbrook are mentioned in a drawn up document from 11th December 1900.  If I can help further please do not hesitate to message me.  My apologies once again for the mix up on my part.

Offline marthaannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • marthaannie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 September 13 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hello mtollet and ceeceedon
I knocked on your door at Chester Brooklands to ask after Cabra House to help ceeceedon re her grandfather Major Henry William Glover; so very pleased that the mystery has now been solved.
I do hope that ceeceedon sees the message board and gets in touch with you, I'm sure she will be thrilled with your information.
marthaannie

Offline ceeceedon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 September 13 22:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your perserverence marthaannie. I can't believe you have been searching this long. It seems you won't give up until you have found a definite answer to whatever question someone may put out there. Thank you as well mtollet for the actual address. I will message you.

Offline marthaannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • marthaannie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hello ceeceedon
A small article for you:
The Observer
Saturday March 20th 1915
Page 5
MAJOR GLOVER A well-known Cestrian, Capt. H.W. Glover, R.A.M.C., now with No. 3 General Hospital in France, has been gazetted Major. The Major will be heartily congratulated by his many friends in Chester on his well-merited promotion.  Before leaving for the field of operations he was stationed in Chester, where he became prominent as a devoted chairman and an enthusiastic worker of C.E. Men's Society.
marthaannie