Author Topic: Question about places of Birth/Burial?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Fraser178

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great Grandad Francis Fraser
    • View Profile
Question about places of Birth/Burial?
« on: Sunday 04 May 14 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

I've been struggling to find the birth of an ancestor and i have also posted numerous times on here to try and find the record online. But as this hasnt helped and I will be going to the Records office in order to find it.
To make my search less extensive I have a quick question. This person who i'm searching for was buried in a wesleyan chapel in 1853, although he was married in a CofE cathedral. If he was buried in a weslyan chapel would be likely that he was baptised at one?

Regards,
Joel

Research Intrests.
Manchester:Fraser, Jennings, Reid, Worsley
Wolverhampton:Hill, Griffiths, Harper, Whitehouse, Tarbuck, Asprey
Willenhall:Aston
Wales:Griffiths,Jennings
Warwickshire: Harper
Ireland County Dublin: Reid

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Question about places of Birth/Burial?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 May 14 22:52 BST (UK) »
Many of our ancestors have not been baptised,so there is no certainty that he would have been baptised in any particular church just because a relative decided to bury him in one.

My gran was one of 2 of the 10 children in her family who were not baptised at all,but luckily they did actually register her birth  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 May 14 23:28 BST (UK) »
If this was one of my ancestors with this set of circumstances I would look at where they were registered, if they had siblings I would check their birth district registrations and that of the parents ( sometimes a child is taken to the parents birth place home church which maybe out of the area to be baptised), check for other baptisms of siblings to look for a pattern and hopefully because of the year you have looked at the census to see where they were living, then look at ALL the churches in the area whatever denomination they were as people swapped and changed.

One very helpful rootschatter gave me some 'local' information about a church which baptised water boatmens children for free, so they all went there rather than their 'local'
As you have a date of birth then it should be fairly easy to check baptisms in the local church you think it may be and then each other church locally, but not all children were baptised, so there may not be a record to find
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 May 14 08:52 BST (UK) »

One very helpful rootschatter gave me some 'local' information about a church which baptised water boatmens children for free, so they all went there rather than their 'local'

The Church of England has never charged a fee for baptism, except in the very few parishes where it had been the ancient custom "from time immemorial". Under Ecclesiastical law no fee can be charged for the administration of Sacraments. The Baptismal Fees Abolition Act was passed in 1872, under which no fee can be charged for baptism notwithstanding any ancient custom to the contrary.  The purpose of this act was to make the law clear in respect of fees for baptisms or for registering baptisms, it appeared that fees were being charged in some parishes, and it was intended to put an end to this system.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fraser178

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great Grandad Francis Fraser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 May 14 13:12 BST (UK) »
I understand a little bit better about how the baptisms were undertaken now. it looks as if i'll have a long day of searching through church records then!
Research Intrests.
Manchester:Fraser, Jennings, Reid, Worsley
Wolverhampton:Hill, Griffiths, Harper, Whitehouse, Tarbuck, Asprey
Willenhall:Aston
Wales:Griffiths,Jennings
Warwickshire: Harper
Ireland County Dublin: Reid

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 May 14 13:21 BST (UK) »
Greeting’s again. ………

YES……. Thomas was a Boatman aged 56.in 61. Census.......

I could tell you a few amusing tales about Boatman & that Church
Like the Boatman would wait till the Church changed the Minister ….
Then would con him into a Free baptisms claiming he couldn’t remembering if the child was baptised all ready …..
The Church soon caught on to his con and stopped it ………. ;D

MIKE. …….
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 May 14 13:24 BST (UK) »
Which church was this? As I pointed out there was no fee for baptisms, and under Ecclesiastical (Canon) Law, a minister cannot refuse, or delay to baptise any child.

Stan

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 May 14 14:18 BST (UK) »
If you click into the link at the top of the quote it takes you to the question

Greeting’s Again. ………
That Church at Hemington was known as the Boatman’s Church
As in winter time when the canal was frozen & no one could go anywhere
Loads of Baptisms Marriages & other Boatman events took place there
I have tracked Maria though the Censuses 41,51 & 61.
41….. with William ( Boatman)
51……. on her own with same family with a James aged 6. ( 1854.)

So William must have been around until then …..

61...... with a Thomas Dakin as man & Wife…….

So either William died and buried else where in the UK
or did Thomas
Williams brother take over as Maria’s Wife ?
Not unknown in those days…..

MIKE. ……

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 May 14 15:59 BST (UK) »
If it was a non-conformist church, and not the parish church, then, of course, the C of E rules would not apply.

Stan