Author Topic: Looking for Robert Kirby Fowler in 1901  (Read 3282 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Robert Kirby Fowler in 1901
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 18:41 BST (UK) »
Also clearly a seaman at Harold Kirby Brodhurst Fowler's christening on 10 May 1895,  at Wood Green
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 18:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for confirming. So in 1901 he may have been away at sea and missed being counted on the census, but by 1911 he is secretary in a public company. Looking at the scan it seems that it originally also said limited liability. It now looks even more like he was involved in his brother's affairs. The company which went belly up was incorporated in 1906 with Charles as MD and secretary. Charles's son in law as assistant secretary and several well established gentlemen as directors. Charles was in London for 1911 census which I believe was in June and described himself as if currently holding those positions. Although subsequent court case (1912) said he was dismissed in Dec 1910.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 20:54 BST (UK) »
Think this might be Robert's brother  N S W Police Gazettes 6/2/1901 Newtoun
A warrant has been issued by Newtoun bench for the arrest of John Charles Fowler charged with disobeying a magisterial order for the support of his wife ...He is 38yrs of age 5ft 6or 7 in high ,medium build broad shoulders, sandy moustache ,light brown hair generally wears a walking coat ...Was manager of a life insurance company at Newcastle until lately ...He is also known at ourimbatt

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 May 14 08:15 BST (UK) »
Letitia dies in 1943, and Robert is still alive then

Probate index entry-
Letitia Fowler of 8 Beverley Ct, Farm Rd, Southgate (wife of Robert Kirby Fowler) died 9April 1943 at Chase Farm Hospital Enfield. Administration to Harold Broadhurst Kirby Fowler tobaccanist representative and Cecil Robert Fowler technical advisor. Effects £1004 2s

Shame there wasnt a will, that might have been informative.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 May 14 08:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie17, I hadn't come across that newspaper, definitely my Charles. He and his wife split up when the children were quite young. That explains why he came back to England suddenly with four children and a lady "companion", and appears in 1901 census. So now he's skipped two countries just ahead of being arrested and according to what I recall my grandmother saying many years ago he went out to Australia originally "under a cloud".
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 May 14 08:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for info on Letitia's death, Lizdb. I suppose Robert must still have been alive in 1943 as it says wife not widow. He would be about 75, maybe the sons applied for probate because he wasn't fit enough to deal with it. Still strange I can't find a death reg, although if the "Kirby" got lost, it would be much harder to find among all the Robert Fowlers.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 May 14 08:33 BST (UK) »
No Probate, only Administration. So there wasnt a will.

(Sons may have dealt with it as he was elderly, or maybe because he had never returned from abroad? Hence no UK death to be found)
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 May 14 08:57 BST (UK) »
Oh yes, my mistake, I meant administration. Now seems like both brothers have gone missing completely, I somehow feel there is a connection. Although I would be surprised if Robert abandoned his wife without good reason. They must have grown up together in Jersey. Letitia's godfather was Charles Fowler senior (Robet's grandfather and my 2 x great grandfather), so the families were close. Letitia's family went back to London in the late 1870's and it looks like Robert followed here there and the married in London in 1893. They would have been in London although a different area when older brother Charles came back from Australia. To change from being a seaman to secretary of a public company seems quite a leap, so I suspect that he was involved with Charles who had set up his own insurance company in 1906 with a very lucrative and unusual package for himself (according to accounts of a court case in 1912).