Author Topic: Rev. George Turner SEYMOUR (Tyntesfield)  (Read 35582 times)

Offline seymour14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. George Turner SEYMOUR (Tyntesfield)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 August 10 02:53 BST (UK) »
I have three good explanations. First is if you look in the Somerset Archives. Type in George Turner Seymour Tyntesfield. One hit talks about deeds done in August 1840, when the estate was already called Tyntesfield.
 Two, I have a poem here written in 1839, when the mother Marianne Seymour and two of her siblings left to live in France, and there are two references to Tyntesfield in a poem of 1839. Thirdly, my Great Great Grandfather, Arthur Penrose Seymour, bought a farm in Marlborough, New Zealand, which he named Tyntesfield (after the place he was born, and grew up in).
 There is no doubt more out there to prove this, but I am convinced it is airtight!
 By the way, I also believe that William Turner of Belmont is Louisa Cam's Uncle, not a paternal Uncle of George Turner Seymour as some books attest.
 Thank you very much, keep up the good work! I look forward to hearing more about Belmont, were there any paintings done of this house that are old?
Many thanks for the pictures also.

Offline tyntes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 August 10 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
You may well be right, I will look into the name thing and the William Turner relationship. I have got hold of the Savilles sale catalogue for the Tyntesfield estate from 2002, I will scan in the floor plans and pics if you want them, but I have not got any old pics.
I do not understand the ref to France, from the diary entries, which I would put complete faith in, I understood Mr and Mrs were visiting the Gibbs up to the sale. Or was this after they left Wraxall, but then the records indicate they were in the Isle of wight?
I will look into further and come back to you.
I have heard that there is a Tyntesfield in NZ.
Talk later.
Regards.
Terry.

Offline seymour14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 August 10 23:34 BST (UK) »
My fault there, the poem was written by the daughter Marianne, now that I have reread it. She left for France with Arthur Seymour in 1839, after the death of George (their brother). Marianne looked after Arthur, as she was a lot older and he was about 7 or 8 years of age. The poem is dated and about 30 lines long, from a notebook of the same era.

Offline tyntes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 August 10 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi there again
Nothing new to report, although I am attending a meeting at Tyntesfield on Wednesday to discuss research, maybe something will come out of it.
What do you mean by 'refit' mention in post of 20th Aug? Do you know what was done, by whom (architect) and date etc?
Lastly, the paternal uncle relationship would have been to George Penrose Seymour?
Regards
Terry

Offline seymour14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 06:53 BST (UK) »
No ideas on the refit at this stage, dates or person(s), but it seems logical that a place gets a new name to reflect its new personality.
  Louisa Cam was George Penrose Seymour's wife, I believe that William Turner is related to her, as opposed to GPS. So Belmont was bequeathed down Louisa's family lines, and I believe he was her uncle. This is based on the Will of William Turner who gives money to all his relatives who were or had been Cam's (and of course Hannah More, but that's another story!). Louisa Cam was living with William Turner before the marriage to George Penrose Seymour,  which gives more credence to their relationship.

Offline tyntes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
This gets more and more interesting. Can you give me the link to find the will, or can you show me the copy?
Looking at the Somerset Archives I found one ref DD\AHW/3/5 acc c/2428(a) which mentions Rev GTS of Tyntes Place. If I get the chance I will go to the archive to look for myself, but I think it is closed at the moment as they are moving.
Do you know when the Tyntesfield land was purchased by the Seymours?
DD\AY/1 covenant to produce deeds for mansion called Belmont 1779.
Anymore info will be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Terry

Offline Kirbye

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 September 10 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am descended from Harriett Cam, who was the sister of Louisa Cam who married George Penrose Seymour.  From my research I can tell you that William Turner of Belmont was the first cousin once removed of Harriett and Louisa Cam.  Harriett and Louisa's mother was Elizabeth Cam, nee Plaister, who was the first cousin of William Turner of Belmont, (and also his brother John, and sister Hester).
I have corresponded previously to "Seymour14" in a few emails, and I think I mentioned that the common ancestors of the Cam, Plaister and Turner families was John Cobb and his wife Hester.
There is the possibility that George P. Seymour was also blood related to William Turner (not just related through his wife) but I have found no evidence of that, despite what is written in various books about William Turner being his uncle. However, this possibility shouldn't be discounted.  Cousins seemed to marry cousins in those days.

Offline tyntes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 September 10 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have found a reference in the Somerset archives that records the sale of land at Wraxall and Nailsea by Sir Charles Tynte to William Turner. When the archive reopens I will go down to have a look, to see if the William Turner is the one we are interested in and same for the land.

I would still appreciate the reference for WT's will if that's possible.

Will keep you updated if I learn more.

Regards
Terry

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 September 10 21:52 BST (UK) »
I know nothing of the family but I do see there is a PCC will for William Turner of Wraxall proved 1804 at The National Archives - is he your man? You can search here and buy a digital copy. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/browse-refine.asp?CatID=6&searchType=browserefine&pagenumber=1&query=*&queryType=1

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.