Author Topic: Which Regiment Number  (Read 804 times)

Offline Digi Home

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which Regiment Number
« on: Monday 22 September 14 21:09 BST (UK) »
I'd love some help to establish a Regimental Number for my cousin if anybody has access to databases that I don't know about or if anyone knows how I can connect William with his Regimental No. and his Regiment - I know next of kin is included in his Attestation but I'd have to know the regiment no. to get that or get many in the hope that I was getting the right one.

My searches have included FamilySearch (Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958), Ancestry, National Archives UK (online), Forces WAR Records (Free) Parish Records Dalkey (nothing of value), Burial Register Deansgrange Cemetery, 1901 & 1911 Census, RootsIreland - Baptism

HARD FACTS
Name: William (Will) Treacy / Tracy / Tracey / Treacey / Trassy / Trassey

Born:  March 1882 - Ballytobin, Co Kilkenny, Ireland

Married a woman called: Mary

Died: August 1962

Buried: Deansgrange Cemetery, Co Dublin

Momento: Photograph (a) with Note - 'William Treacy wounded WW1' against a distinctive          background
          Photograph (b) William with his wife - no note

Deansgrange Burial Register: William's occupation is British War Pensioner

Deansgrange Burial Register: William's address at time of death was 20 White's Villas, Dalkey, Co Dublin
Grave: Both William & Mary are buried in a grave in Deansgrange(no headstone & no children) - Mary survived her husband by what appears to be 5 years (rather difficult to read)

Next of kin: Both parents are deceased by 1914, siblings are John, Patrick, Mary, Thomas, Bridget, Annie - eldest first. William was the youngest

---------------------------------------

SOFT FACTS
William lived within 20 miles of Clonmel, Co Tipperary - a depot for Royal Irish Regiment
William's brother kept a boarder in his house who was a 'Reserve in the Irish Guards'
Either of the above may have influenced his choice when he joined the army

Of 4 William Treacy's married in Rathdown District (Killiney/Dalkey) Dublin between 1915 & 1930, two appear to be duplicates of each other. and only one (duplicated with different spelling for Treacy / Tracey)  has Mary on the same page, same volume (Ancestry) That is July - Sept 1919 - Mary O'Hanlon

Family knowledge: William married a nurse who cared for him during his recovery after being WIA

William's wife was believed to have been born in Killiney (Rathdown)

Leopardstown Military Hospital was beside Dalkey (William's Address) & Killiney (Mary's place of birth)

Momento: Photograph (a) in 'Hard Facts' the distinctive background can still be seen at 20 White's Villas, Dalkey on Google maps - meaning that William lived there from when he was still a relatively young man
---------------------------------------

QUESTIONS
What is William's Regimental No.
Was Mary a nurse in WW1 (France) or was she a nurse in Leopardstown - or was she a nurse at all?

Thank you for reading this and any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which Regiment Number
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 18:23 BST (UK) »
Nothing obvious on Ancestry 'WW1 service records'.

It is unclear if you have found them in 1901 and 1911.

Do you know his parents names?

Here is one from 1901 - http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kilkenny/Coolaghmore/Garryrickin/1445524/

Ken

Offline Digi Home

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken

Yes, you found him in his family home with his father Patrick & his mother Catherine in 1901. You'll notice his age doesn't tally but this is definitely the family

Now I can't account for the following but I found at least 4 family members listed elsewhere on the 1901 census (they were probably boarding where they worked) here is my William again working in the same household/farm as his mother's younger sister Mary Carroll, - http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kilkenny/Killamery/Cussan/1445875/ I cannot account for why he would have been entered twice.

I have found a William Treacy on the 1911 Census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tipperary/Mullinahone/Clonagoose/838689/ again his age is incorrect - in the opposite direction but we were the only Treacy's in the area and I cannot account for another 'William' in my family tree.  This is across the border in Tipperary but the family originally came from this area, some returned here later and several of my ancestors worked in Peter Ryans household/farm so I can't discount it but haven't fully accepted it yet.

I haven't focused on the parents in the search for William in WW1 as they were both dead by that time and the family had drifted elsewhere, married & took husbands name, emigrated etc. - only one of whom I've located in the 1911 census - the one who is providing boarding for the 'Reserve in the Irish Guards'. I suspect William would have nominated one of his elder brothers as his next of kin the most likely being the eldest

Thank you so much for your interest & help

Anna

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 07:22 BST (UK) »
The army often recorded all close family, putting "o" for older and "y" for younger against siblings. You could try looking on Ancestry for one of his brothers serving during WW1, with him given as a sibling.

Ken

Offline Digi Home

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 September 14 23:13 BST (UK) »
That's something I hadn't considered, would the army have accepted John (eldest) b. 1863 - he would have been 51 in 1914 or Patrick b. 1867 and 47 yrs old in 1914?

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 September 14 08:04 BST (UK) »
Patrick could have been conscripted when they raised the age limit towards the end of WW1.

Ken

Offline Digi Home

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 September 14 21:39 BST (UK) »
Perhaps I'm incorrect but I thought that although the law existed, conscription was never put in effect in Ireland??

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 September 14 02:38 BST (UK) »
You are correct. Sorry four days appears to be outside the limit of my memory span.

Ken