Author Topic: Newbury War Memorial - A New  (Read 4013 times)

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Newbury War Memorial - A New
« on: Monday 25 November 13 14:33 GMT (UK) »
The name A New appears on the Newbury war memorial - and I am having difficulties determining who this refers to. I know there are a few New researchers on Rootschat who I am hoping will know of this chap.

The CWGC database has several possibilities, the most likely being Alfred Sidney New from Burbage whose father was at some point living in Aldern Bridge, Newtown, Hants, a couple of miles from the centre of Newbury.  This address could well date from the early 1920s.  I can find no real sign that Alfred had anything to do with Newbury - so he seems a bit of a longshot.

FreeBMD has several A News born in Newbury RD in the timeframe for service in WW1:

Dec 1899     New    Arthur Daniel    Newbury    2c   244    b Newbury, d Aus 1958
Dec 1886   New    Alfred        Newbury    2c   235   no trace
Mar 1884   New    Albert Leonard    Newbury    2c   239   b Newbury, m 1904 (Fanny Wheeler - she then disappears), 1911 with his parents.

Does anyone knows what happened to Alfred or Albert - did they survive the war?

I am concentrating on younger A News - but there are others:
Sep 1877   New    Daniel Alexander   Newbury    2c   232  emigrated US 1899, naturalised 1921, died in CA 1924.
Sep 1868   New    George Albert    Newbury    2c   225
Sep 1867      New    Alfred Tom    Newbury    2c   219 b Chieveley

If anyone can show that any of these died as a result of WW1 it would be great to know.

There was no A New from Newbury as an absent voter in 1918 (which doesn't help much), he wasn't listed in the active service rolls printed in the local paper up to spring 1916, and he didn't get a write up in the local paper when he died (I haven't gathered all the BMD announcements yet - so he might crop up there).

All in all I'm floundering with this chap - any help would be appreciated.

Moderator comment: replies removed.  Only information gathered from the free index to 1911 census may be used. 
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newbury War Memorial - A New
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 11:14 GMT (UK) »
I suggest you look at the 1911 census, I found a suitable/likely A New living there when I searched for an A New living only at Newbury on Ancestry's site.  Two other A News but both born too late I think, one 1900 the other 1903.

I had posted the detailed information for you but it's been deleted.

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 18:03 GMT (UK) »
I saw your original reply - and my response to it has also been deleted.

The three A News you found are IIRC 1. Arthur Daniel a survivor (died 1958), 2 Albert Leonard New (a distinct possibility) and 3. too young (born 1902).

However, Albert Leonard may well have survived and lived to a ripe old age - I am hoping that one of the New researchers may know more. However my hopes are not encouraged by this thread that I have just found - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=540643.0
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 December 13 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Newbury Chap,
Albert Leonard New is from my New family line.   He was born 24.12.1883 son of Ellen New.  He was raised solely by his grandparents John & Ellen New and yes Albert married Fanny Elizabeth Townsend Wheeler, on the 27th February, 1904, Albert was a Painter and Fanny was daughter of Licensees, David & Fanny Wheeler, who ran The Grapes and the Rose & Crown until around 1914. 

Albert's wife died aged 38 years from TB on the 30th December, 1914 at Fair Mile, Cholsey.     Albert & Fanny New did have two children, Albert Leonard Townsend New b. 1905 d. 1905 and Roy Leslie Townsend New b. 1906, he appears in census information with another family and later in 1920 he is found as a Home Child in Canada.

Albert New working as a Painter was living with his Aunt and Uncle,  John & Fanny New just prior to their migration to Australia in 1912.  No sign of Albert anywhere else after then.   

Of course other relation, Arthur Daniel New b. 1899 migrated to Australia in 1912 with his family and died at Bankstown Australia in 1958. 

Hope this assists with your investigation, would love to know if this was our Albert, as maybe he did go to War.

Jan
New, Thorn, Bird, Ruffey, Bosley, Belcher- Newbury Berkshire
Haynes/Haines - Much Birch Herefordshire, Monmouth Wales
Kearn/Watkins- Llanllwchaiarn/Newtown, Wales, Tyberton, Herefordshire
Gwilliam - Monmouth Wales, Herefordshire
Collier, Jackson - Salford, Manchester Lancashire
Saunders - Middlesex, Devon
Benson - Edinburgh, Scotland
Callander - Falkirk, Scotland
Ambrose - Liverpool, Manchester Lancashire, Canada
Timms, Elliman - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire
Ellison - Manchester/Portsmouth Hampshir

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 November 18 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Newbury Chap,
I wonder did you ever come to the conclusion on A. New on the memorial.    Would be great if we could have some closure regarding our Albert Leonard New.  Was there any possibility it was him.
Jan

I saw your original reply - and my response to it has also been deleted.

The three A News you found are IIRC 1. Arthur Daniel a survivor (died 1958), 2 Albert Leonard New (a distinct possibility) and 3. too young (born 1902).

However, Albert Leonard may well have survived and lived to a ripe old age - I am hoping that one of the New researchers may know more. However my hopes are not encouraged by this thread that I have just found - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=540643.0
Ellison - Manchester/Portsmouth Hampshir

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jan,

My best guess for the A New who is on the Newbury memorial is this chap on the CWGC database:

Private NEW, ALFRED SIDNEY
Service Number 22332
Died 20/08/1917
Aged 22
1st Bn.  Gloucestershire Regiment
Son of William Henry New, of Aldern Bridge, Newbury, Berks.

I am not very happy with this, but can't find any better.  Aldern Bridge is in Newtown, Hants, just over the border from Newbury and Albert Sidney came from Burbage, Wilts, also not far from Newbury. But there is no obvious link to Newbury proper. This is one of the cases where I am hoping that the 1921 census will proved some answers.

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Newbury Chap,
Thanks for this, I agree it will be interesting to get 1921 census now, particularly for me with regard to Albert Leonard New.   We have not found any sign of him since 1912 when his family moved to Australia.

Regards
Jan