Author Topic: INDIA : Nina Astridge born 1887 in India  (Read 3106 times)

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
INDIA : Nina Astridge born 1887 in India
« on: Monday 30 June 14 15:54 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find any information about my Grandmother's sister, Nina Astridge. She was born in 1887 and I have details of this plus all relevant details on her twelve siblings. However she seems to disappear. I have a possible marriage for her to Thomas C Naden@ 1913 in Poonamallee Tamil Nada .  This has been gleaned from a public family tree on another site, but not verified. There are some coincidences to suggest that this might be true, in which case they had a daughter, Irene Gladys May in 1914.
I have searched all the usual places online and come up with nothing. Has anyone got any ideas where I can look next?
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,
travis, gill, barker, fielding- derbyshire

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nina Astridge born 1887 in India
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 June 14 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

You haven't said what the coincidences are, but I see that on Irene's marriage her father was named as Thomas Naden (no middle name):

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGV5-6VV

Is he likely to be the Thomas Naden, "Police" who was 43 when he sailed Liverpool-Bombay in January 1930, intended future permanent resident India, last UK address Clucher St Derby?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 June 14 16:24 BST (UK) »
I see that Thomas Naden, "India Police", made another trip to the UK in 1936, contact address 20 Archer St, Wilmorton, Derby.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 June 14 16:38 BST (UK) »
I am assuming it is this Thomas Naden.  The fact that he was in the Police is one of the coincidences. My Grandfather (Nina's brother in law) was ex Sherwood Foresters (like Thomas) and joined the Bombay police which was where Thomas was discharged. It could be that they married two sisters around the same time,because they were ex colleagues and friends or I could be clutching at straws! My grandparents left Indis in 1919, and my gfather died  in 1920
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 June 14 16:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the above, I should add that Thomas's parents lived in Derby so the contact address makes sense

Offline Anita Moore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 02:36 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find any information about my Grandmother's sister, Nina Astridge. She was born in 1887 and I have details of this plus all relevant details on her twelve siblings. However she seems to disappear. I have a possible marriage for her to Thomas C Naden@ 1913 in Poonamallee Tamil Nada .  This has been gleaned from a public family tree on another site, but not verified. There are some coincidences to suggest that this might be true, in which case they had a daughter, Irene Gladys May in 1914.
I have searched all the usual places online and come up with nothing. Has anyone got any ideas where I can look next?

Offline Anita Moore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 02:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, I don't have any information about Nina Astridge but would love to know about all her  12 siblings as I'm the grand daughter of William Victor Walter Astridge born 1st July 1897, I have his original baptism certificate, it's not in very good condition.. I'm the daughter of His son Leonard Oswald William Astridge born in 1928.

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 11:51 BST (UK) »
Lovely to hear from you. I guess this makes us second cousins, given that our grandparents were brother and sister!
The twelve siblings were
Emma Violet born 1876
Alfred Edward b and died 1878
Arthur George b 1879
Eve Ilene b 1882
Clarence Vivian b 1884
Maud Elvira  1885-1889
Nina b1887
Ethel Clara 1888-89
Blanche Muriel (my grandmother) 1890-1958
Charles E  1896-1907
William Victor 1897-1948
Alfred Benjamin b 1899 d1899

I have quite a bit of information on their parents and would love to exchange information.
My sister and I have made contact with a few other descendants (of course you may already be in touch with them)

Offline Anita Moore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 12:48 BST (UK) »
It's lovely to finally find someone from my dad's side as he never spoke much.. He lost contact with all his siblings once pak-India partition.. My dad's one sister lived in Perth, she passed away  (eldest). my sister lives there and is in contact with her children.. And one of my dad's sister was in Quetta-Pakistan no contact with her..  By the way thanks for all the info.. Just a month ago I started searching the web for Astridge family... I have found out from where our great grand parents are too.. So excited! mfo.me.uk has all the Astridge family tree.. Do check it out.. Can I find you on Facebook.. Pls let me know how can contact you.. Would love to hear from you again.. Pls be in contact, we have lots to catch up on.. Lots of love xxxx

(*) Moderator Comment: Personal details removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.