Author Topic: Where might Ellen Rutherford be buried?  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Where might Ellen Rutherford be buried?
« on: Tuesday 11 November 14 22:50 GMT (UK) »
My cousin and I are visiting Northumberland next week and we will be trying to walk in the footsteps of a Great Grand Aunt. She had an interesting life though sadly cut short by illness.

She was born 1836 in the Carham area. I currently have no birth details.

1841 she was at Downham Farm near Mindrum and Pawston / Kirknewton.

1851 she was still at Downham and working as a nanny for the Hall family.

1858 she had an illigitimate son she named George Brown.

1861 she was still at Downham and with her parents. I was surprised with an illegitimate child that she was not banished by her family. It seems they stood by her, though she never did marry.

1871 she was at Fenton East Side somewhere near Doddington / Wooler. Still with her parents and fatherless son. I'd love to know for sure where Fenton East Side is or was. Perhaps it was just the East side of Fenton Town?

1881 she was still with her son and they were living at Duddo in one of the cottages close by the school.

She died in 1885 age 49 at Coupland. One of her sisters (present at her death) was living and working just along the road at Lanton. She died of heart disease and anasarca, which cannot have been very pleasant for her carers to witness. One of her other sisters also died of heart disease aged just 30 some twenty years earlier in 1865. I wonder if there was a genetic heart problem?

Duddo is only 9 miles or so away from Coupland. So where might Ellen be buried? I'd love to find her grave but not quite sure where to start really. My cousin bought a burials index but we cannot find Ellen on it. I wondered if she might be buried at Duddo, but since finding out she died at Coupland, it opens the field a little. Maybe she is at Kirknewton?

Her son went on to lead a full life marrying and having a family of his own.

1891 He was at Grindon Ridge

1901 at Old Greenlaw Walls

1911 he was at Berryhill, Duddo.

We are intrigued that her family stuck by her, and after going through the 1851 census page by page I found a George Brown living as a young man with his family at one of the Learmouths not far away from Downham, so we are wondering if he was the father of the illegitimate boy. Can't remember off the top of my head which Learmouth he was at. That Brown family had moved south to Morpeth where I found them on the 1861 census.

We'd love to be able to find her grave and visit, so any help that can be given would be very much appreciated.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where might Ellen Rutherford be buried?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Remember, a burial does not equal a headstone.  So there may be nothing to see even if you locate which churchyard she was buried in.
It will be a case of looking at the Parish registers for burials for the Churches in the area,  or if the chuchyards were full at a municipal cemetery.
Parish Records will be held at a Northumberland Record Office? I would guess! Googling may reveal.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline taffie01

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 17:27 GMT (UK) »
hi,

the Northumberland  archives are held at Woodhorn museum,  QEll Country Park, NE63 9YE

web link       wwwexperiencewoodhorn.com

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the advice. We will see what we can find out at Woodhorn then.  ;D

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 23:19 GMT (UK) »
If she died in Coupland I would start with Kirknewton churchyard - that would be the correct parish.  If she's not there then for Duddo she's likely to be in Norham.  Theres an online list of MIs for Norham church but no Ellen Rutherford.  Still, as has been said, this doesn't mean she isn't there.

If she's not in either of those church yards then work backwards through all the places she lived - not an enviable task!

Christine

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 December 15 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Just to update you, in case you are of course interested, we found Ellen's grave at Cornhill where she is buried with her mother and father. So glad to have been able to find it and her and make a visit.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 December 15 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Well done for finding her - how did you track her down to Cornhill?

Christine

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 December 15 22:41 GMT (UK) »
I was struggling and did a random Google search for Walter Kennedy Fenwick Steads, and the results came up with this website;

http://www.coldstreamhistorysociety.co.uk/index.php/cornhill-on-tweed-transcriptions/transcription/main-section-c-row-4-7-rutherford

As a result of that find, I was able to find 6 family graves with 21 family members in them at Carham, Cornhill and Branxton! I have done similar searches before, but all this information was brand new to the WWW. Thank goodness for the project.  :D

Quite a few t's crossed and i's dotted.

P

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 December 15 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Wow!  That's good to know  :)