Author Topic: JONES & WEBSTER Families from Dymock  (Read 1646 times)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
JONES & WEBSTER Families from Dymock
« on: Saturday 23 August 14 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I've been trying to find more details about Nancy Davis, baptised on 25 August 1733 in Dymock, Gloucestershire. Any complimentary to the below information about her two husbands or any of her four children would be most welcome, as I seem to have hit a dead end on this one.

Nancy Davis, daughter of William and Comfort Davis, married 2 June 1758 (aged 24) John Jones. I have traced three children: Nancy (b.1760), Lancelot (1763) and James (1765). There is a burial of a Lancelot Jones in the Dymock parish registers for 1771: "Lancelot Jones, infant 20 Oct 1771", but I can't find anything further on his sister Nancy or brother James.

John Jones must have died sometime after 1762/3 (birth of his youngest son) because in late 1775 the banns for her marriage to a Henry Webster were published in late December of that year. The marriage took place on 8 January 1776 in Dymock, when Nancy would have been 42. She is a widow, and Henry Webster a bachelor, according to the parish registers available online.

A nice twist to the story is the appearance of a son only six months after the wedding. Francis Webster, son of Henry and Nancy, was baptised on 5 July 1776. Presumably he was born shortly before that date, which in any case would mean 42 year-old Nancy was pregnant when she married her second husband.

I am intrigued to find out more about Nancy, Henry Webster, their son or either of Nancy's two surviving children from her first marriage, if anyone can find anything else on them.

Thank you!

ADDED LATER: It seems the couple went back to Herefordshire, as their son Henry Webster was born in May 1778 in Coddington. Sadly he died a few days later. I cannot find anything further on the Websters nor Nancy's children from her first marriage thereafter.
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: JONES & WEBSTER Families from Dymock
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 August 14 19:37 BST (UK) »
Could this be your Nancy? No indication of age sadly.

Nancy Jones buried Dymock 22 Oct 1769   

..........and James?

James Jones ( a child) buried 18 Aug 1766, Dymock
A child

............and John Jones?

John Jones buried Dymock 5 Jul 1766

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 August 14 20:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Giggyscat - that is amazing information. I believe the Nancy you mention is her daughter, who would therefore have died aged 9. Lancelot died aged 8, and James aged 1. How tragic for mother Nancy...

Could you let me know where you found these details so I may quote them as my reference on my family tree?

I recently found information which sheds further light on Nancy. She married Henry Webster in 1776, by when she would have had no children alive (from her first marriage). Her son Francis was born a few months after her second wedding in 1776. Then I found a second son, also named Henry, born in nearby Coddington (Heref.), but sadly the little boy died a few days after his baptism.

Would you be able to check in your sources whether there's any trace of Henry Webster (either the husband or the son?).

The Forest of Dean website shows the death of a Nancy Webster in Dymock in 1806 aged 70, which fits the bill since Nancy was born in 1733 (so actually 73 when she died - still, I have no doubt this was her).
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 August 14 21:35 BST (UK) »
The info I sent is also from the Forest of Dean website.

http://www.forest-of-dean.org.uk/

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 August 14 21:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Giggsycat! You're been very helpful! I guess we can cross out the Joneses as a colateral line in the family in later generations :(

I still wonder about the Websters, if anyone can provide further info  ???