Author Topic: Death cert  (Read 3652 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death cert
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 March 14 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again Jan,
If Jane was Alexander's first wife and Margaret his second - I wonder if this marriage in Kilmarnock on 11th Apr 1855 is his marriage to Margaret - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XT2C-4V4

This marriage is to a Margt. Johnston. I know the death cert has a wife for Alexander recorded as Margaret Murray :-\ but there are not many Alexander McGraws in Kilmarnock in the 1850s (2 - Alex and his young son). I wonder if his wife's maiden name has been misremembered by the son who registered his death.
Anyway if this is the case this 1855 marriage cert might strike it lucky for you - Alexander should have provided details of his parents.
Maybe worth checking out?
Looby :)

Offline scottishmist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 08:32 BST (UK) »
Good morning

Hi Loobylooayr

I just download the cert for Alexander and Margaret Johnston and it is my Alexander and his mother name was Jean Murray so the son only mix it up a wee bit.
his daughter to his first marriage was born 1854 so that was fast to get marriage again
Thanks for the help

Cheers Jan   
Paisley:Cowan,McFarlane,
Neilston:Thorpe,Young,Edgar,McGraw,McDonald
Strath:Grant,McClean,Chrisholm
Houston:Whyte
Ayrshire:McIlwraith,McCulloch
Kirkcubright:Halliday,Blackloch

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,
Great that you got the info you were looking for.
Through my own research, I tend to find that widowed men with a young family remarried quite quickly. Not wishing to sound "unromantic" :P but I suppose they needed someone to look after children/housekeep while they worked.
Looby :)