Author Topic: Staffordshire records released  (Read 11160 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Staffordshire records released
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 17 July 14 22:10 BST (UK) »
I think its well worth pointing out that the available Trees on Ancestry with Thomas Green and wife Jane contain old info i used to carry on my Tree in that I thought Jane was a full sister of Thomas(1818).I'll try and look and compare notes with my relatives Tree on Genes later.

Regards
William Russell Jones.

I think it's highly likely she was a full sister of your Thomas and not his step-mother's child born before the marriage.  Wolstanton appears to separate all three of the parishes where there are baptisms to a Daniel and Mary.  They appear to be the only Daniel and Mary Durber in the area, so its quite likely they are the same couple and the 1803 marriage lists Daniel as being of Wolstanton even though it took place in Shropshire.  I can see no Jane Pepper baptism to an Ann around the right time.  Its highly likely she had her stepmother living with her.

As mentioned previously, and considering the month sub isn't that expensive, it would be well worth your while looking at the original registers.  It would give you the opportunity to look at the families of that name in that area.

I don't know whether it is good or bad new.lolI had all the Green family in my Tree and deleted them all thinking that Jane may have been Ann's daughter!

Lets just say I have a cousin from another family line who is very generous with regards to FindMyPast!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 17 July 14 23:25 BST (UK) »
Well,well,well,I've been very naive!I seen you saying that Daniel Durber married Mary Talbot in Shropshire in 1803.It has suddenly dawned on me,in fact I've written it many times for relatives in my Tree,that the reason you think it was in Shropshire is the fact that the marriage probably took place at Wellington St Luke!Wellington St Luke is a Parish within Hanley Stoke-on Trent!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 17 July 14 23:44 BST (UK) »
Well hunches don't always pay off.lolI'm told the marriage took place at Lillieshall.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 17 July 14 23:46 BST (UK) »
It did take place at Lilleshall, but if the person who told you viewed the marriage, they would know that it says Daniel was of "Woolstanton in the County of Stafford", and as far as I'm aware there is only one Wolstanton/Woolstanton in Staffordshire, but I stand corrected, and it borders the three parishes where there are children baptised to Daniel and Mary Durber. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 17 July 14 23:52 BST (UK) »
It did take place at Lilleshall, but if the person who told you viewed the marriage, they would know that it says Daniel was of "Woolstanton in the County of Stafford", and as far as I'm aware there is only one Wolstanton/Woolstanton in Staffordshire, but I stand correct, and it borders the three parishes where there are children baptised to Daniel and Mary Durber. ;D

Thanks,yes Wolstanton does indeed border the three Parishes.Looking at the Mary Talbotin view of the children's names,I'm looking very closely at the Baptism in Lillieshall of a Mary talbot to Parents Thomas and Sarah Talbot 27/02/1780.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 18 July 14 00:14 BST (UK) »
No time like the present!I may have struck lucky on Genes Re-united with regards the Talbot family of Lilleshall!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 18 July 14 13:21 BST (UK) »
Can someone please help me re Oulton PRs on Find My Past?

My Stubbs ancestors lived in Oulton, Staffs from late-ish 1800s.

I know, as far as the Registration District goes, its in Stone RD. But what about as a parish?

I've looked at Genuki but it only gets a mention as part of Stone, and my Phillimore atlas doesn't acknowledge it as a parish in its own right. Yet FindMyPast has (very limited) PRs for Oulton baptisms 1871-1901, marriages 1880-1900 and no burials at all.  ???

I am not sure if earlier and later Oulton PRs exist and have just not been added to FindMyPast yet or should I be looking under Stone parish? Can anyone throw any light on this please?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 18 July 14 14:14 BST (UK) »
On looking at stafforshire archives web site on the sources for family history there are more holdings for oulton St. John. The description is that it was formed from part of stone, Christ church. There resources are baptisms 1878-1931  marriages 1880-1993. Burials 1875-1956
Those are the Anglican holdings, there is no listing in the non conformist sources.193

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 18 July 14 14:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks, weste, that's very helpful.

It looks like I shall have to wait and see if anything more appears on FindMyPast and, for entries prior to about 1875-80 I'll have to search Stone PRs.

At least now I know what I'm looking for - which helps!  ;)

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.