Author Topic: FORREST surname in Scotland  (Read 16431 times)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
FORREST surname in Scotland
« on: Sunday 31 July 11 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I'm building my database of ALL Forrests in Scotland, not only my direct line which I've got back to 1750.

If you are willing to share the information you have, and allow me to add it to my site, I'd love to here from you. 

Who knows, by collating all the knowledge of Forrests out there, we could all benefit.

Please contact me through this forum, or through my site which is here..... http://daval57.tribalpages.com

Thanks
Dave

PS - If you know of any other Forrest researchers that might not see this post, please pass on my link.
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: FORREST surname in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 12:02 BST (UK) »
Chapel Yard, Invss

89. In memory of Annie Forrest wife of James McCowan, Merchant, Inverness who died 2nd Sep 1876 and of their son James Forrest who died in infancy. The said James McCowan died 5th Nov 1906.

90.  Erected by Margaret MacIntosh to the memory of her beloved husband James Forrest who died 15th Aug 1850 aged 49 years.

Tomnahurich

1611. In loving memory of James Tocher who died 16th Sep 1976 dearly loved husband of Mary K Forrest. Also the above Mary K Forrest who died 22nd Dec 1987.

2077. Sacred to the memory of Margaret Forrest who died 5th Nov 1940 aged 72 beloved wife of John Golder. And the said John Golder who died 25th Aug 1946 aged 81 years.

3395. In loving memory of Elizabeth Blake Forrest dearly beloved wife of John Hunter who died at 14 Planefield Road, Inverness on the 7th May 1935 and the above John Hunter who died 1st May 1946 in his 82nd year.

Cromarty Gaelic

336. A Forrest.

Kilmuir Easter

194. Erected by his loving wife and family in memory of Walter Kennedy, Forrester New Tarbat who died at Kildary Cottage on 4th Oct  1912 age 64 years. Also his beloved wife Ann Forrest who died at Kildary Cottage on 29th Sept 1949 aged 97 years.

Killearnan

173. In memory of James Forrest, Schoolmaster at Tore died 21st Jan 1936 aged 82. Also his mother Ann Johnstone died 10th May 1907 aged 80.

Rosskeen

1115. In loving memory of William Forrest died 27th Sep 1957 aged 45 years beloved husband of Elizabeth Kilburn died 30th Jan 1980 aged 66 years.

St Duthus Old, Tain

475. In loving memory of Donald MacKenzie, Mineral Bank, Tain who died 17th Oct 1898 and his wife Margaret Ross died 18th Sept 1897. Also their daughter Isabella Jane, wife of William Forrest, Edinburgh who died 30th May 1946 aged 75 years and the said William Forrest who died 8th Feb 1958 aged 84 years. Erected by their sorrowing children.

Golspie

378. In loving memory of Janet Louisa Mitchell who died at Dunrobin 11th Oct 1935. Also her husband William Forrest who died 14th Jan 1952. And their sons Robert Archibald Forrest who died 11th May 1978. William Walter Forrest who died 30th Dec 1980. Jamesina Forrest wife of Robert who died 10th May 1988.

Gibraltar North Front

Dr William Patterson Forrest of Glasgow & Largs, Scotland and of The United Nations Releif & Rehabilitation Administration and The World Health Organisation died Gibraltar Aug 13th 1959 aged 49 years.

Death Cert
1872 Parish of Old Deer

Elspet Forrest. Scholar, Single
1872 Jan 1st 11hrs pm, Clola, Old Deer
Female are 13 years
Father Robert Forrest
Mother Jane Forrest ms Findlay
Phthisis Pulmonalid, uncertain
Signed Robert Forrest Father.

Death Cert
Parish of Monquitter

Helen Innes Forrest, single, Illegitimate
1882 Jan 3rd 8hr30mpm Cuminestoun, Monquitter
Female 4 years
Mother Jean Forrest, Agric Labourer formerly Domestic Servant
Acute Bronchitis
Signed George Grey relative & Guardian

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 13:19 BST (UK) »
Nice one,
Thanks so much.

Dave
 ;D
-------------------

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 August 11 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,no Forrest relatives that I know of but this was on the same page as one of mine.It's Bo'ness births 1724.

John Forrest son to Robert Forrest,merchant
and Helen Gregory.Born November 26th
and baptised December 15th.
Witnesses:baillie Robert Gregory and
George Gibson,late ship's master.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline weemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 August 11 08:26 BST (UK) »
Do you have any Forrests listed from largs -  looking for this family -  can't locate on any census -  however their daughter Margaret Forest was born there
Beaton Bethune, Campbell -  ROC
Mitchell Leslie - Aberdeen
Mackintosh, Anderson (Provost) -  Inverness
Boyle, Mckechnie, McPhail, Fulton  - Ireland, Greenock, Kilbrachan
Pearce, Curnoe/Curnow -  Cornwall
Patterson, Robson, Sloan, Campbell, Dixon, Wilson, Ritson, Hedley, Vipond, Coulson -  South Shields, Sunderland, Northumberland, Cumberland
Kitcheham/Kitchingham, Gage -  Kent

Offline jimmijam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 August 11 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

More for your list, if only a small entry!

I have an Ann Forrest, who married Peter Dunn, Ship's Carpenter, Peterburgh, Aberdeenshire 10th June 1804 and had two children, Helen and Peter.

Best wishes, Jimmijam
My email address is not working sorry.
Davidson Whytock Whittet

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 August 11 10:08 BST (UK) »
Blantyre Kirk Session Minutes: "6th April 1851. Voluntarily appeared Janet Aitkenhead residing at ?Barnhill in this parish confessing that she had brought forth a child in uncleanness about six weeks ago. Being solemnly exhorted to tell the truth declared that Charles Forrest an unmarried man residing at Bridge Hill in the parish of Cambuslang is the partner of her guilt and father of her child. The Session instruct their clerk to write to the Kirk Session of Cambuslang informing them of the accusation made against the said Charles Forrest and requesting them to cause him to be sumoned to appear here on the first Sabbath of May (4th) confronting him with the ... to this meeting. Janet Aitkenhead was called apud acta and after a s... exhortation she was dismissed for the present.

Ibid: "4th May 1851. Compeared Janet Aitkenhead who adhered to her former statement. The Session Clerk produced a letter from the Session Clerk of Cambuslang intimating that Charles Forrest had been regularly summoned and the officer having called him three times at the door he did not appear. The Session instruct the clerk to request the Kirk Session of Cambuslang to summon the said Charles Forrest to compear before the Session within the Church on Sabbath first the 4th May between the hours of 2 and 4 to answer the charge laid against him. Janet Aitkenhead is also summoned apud acta to attend said meeting."

Later records are missing ...!

The errant father was the son of Andrew Forrest and Ann(e) Steel(e), and he was baptised in East Kilbride on 8 February 1829. How do I know this? Because in the 1841 census at Bridgmill, Cambuslang, were Andrew Forrest, 50, miller; James, 15; Robert, 15; Charles, 11; William, 8; Jane, 20; and two servants. All the family were born in Lanarkshire.

Janet Aitkenhead was the daughter of Alexander Aitkenhead and Margaret Brownlie, and she was baptised in Bothwell in April 1832. She married Samuel Heaney in 1854 and died in Glasgow in 1897.

The illegitimate child was Elizabeth Forrest, who appears in the 1851 census with her grandparents at Millheugh, Blantyre. I think she must also be the Margaret Forrest, dyeworker, aged 20, living with her grandmother in Blantyre in 1871.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 September 11 09:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for the contributions so far.

Facebook links to Forrest Genealogy:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6837472836

http://www.facebook.com/groups/forrests.in.scotland/
-------------------

Offline Skye_

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,
I would love to visit your website and see your Forrest database as I am searching for the origins of my great great grandmother, Ellen Forrest.  However, when i requested an invitation, I was denied.  Why?