Author Topic: Help finding a birth record  (Read 826 times)

Offline Leanne.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help finding a birth record
« on: Wednesday 19 February 14 10:58 GMT (UK) »
I am looking up a birth on the Scotlands People website, it brings up some names but doesn't show parent's names. Is there anyway to see parents names before viewing the certificate. I already know the parent's names. I just want to confirm date of birth but I don't want to have to pay to view every single person in the search results.

Is there any other way to do it ?
Researching Whitby from England & Australia, Taylor from Scotland & Australia, Norman/Normand from France & Australia. Other last names in my tree Raeburn, Appleby, Ingram, Lynch, Hayes, Baker, Ketley, Newman, Dobson, Holdsworth, Summerill, Summerell.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding a birth record
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately not online  :-\ The English & Welsh GRO let you from mid 1911 at least double check against mother's maiden name when you search the indexes online. You cannot do the same online via Scotlands People/GROS.

If you are in Scotland and close to one of the main genealogy centres, you can for a day's booking fee look up an unlimited number of BMDs and there are various other types of searches that can be done in person but not available online.

What period are you looking at? The further back you go, the easier it can become to find supporting info online.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Leanne.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately not online  :-\ The English & Welsh GRO let you from mid 1911 at least double check against mother's maiden name when you search the indexes online. You cannot do the same online via Scotlands People/GROS.

If you are in Scotland and close to one of the main genealogy centres, you can for a day's booking fee look up an unlimited number of BMDs and there are various other types of searches that can be done in person but not available online.

What period are you looking at? The further back you go, the easier it can become to find supporting info online.

Monica  :)

I am in Australia.
I found the person I was looking for, but it will help me in the future when looking for other birth records.

Currently looking at around 1850 - 1900
Researching Whitby from England & Australia, Taylor from Scotland & Australia, Norman/Normand from France & Australia. Other last names in my tree Raeburn, Appleby, Ingram, Lynch, Hayes, Baker, Ketley, Newman, Dobson, Holdsworth, Summerill, Summerell.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 11:55 GMT (UK) »
That period that you are now in is a lot easier that the 20thC records (due to privacy issues, online records become scarce).

https://familysearch.org/#start is particularly strong for Scotland up to the mid 1870s. More records have been added of late, so you can find the occassional later entry. Census data would be the next point of reference to try and work from, giving you approximate ages and place of birth to work from.

Good luck with your searches  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 13:37 GMT (UK) »
If you are looking pre 1855 the old OPR index does show some info on parents  or try the IGI