Author Topic: Bessie Georgina WEBB  (Read 11511 times)

Offline calvert

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bessie Georgina WEBB
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 16 April 11 12:04 BST (UK) »
sorry meant to add that our girl was registered in q4 1889 in truro as elizabeth webb but was baptised in 6/5/1890 as frances elizabeth webb parents james dawson webb and mary jane of truro,  seems as though they couldnt decide what to call her as in the 1891 census she is listed as bessie aged born 1887,,,,,,so who knows but I have had all sorts of problems tracing many of this family, names changing etc..

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 April 11 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the birth and baptism records. Now that certainly fits with her age here in SA. (late 89 to 1900 - married Feb aged 33 died Nov aged 36 so a birth between Oct 89 and Feb 90 would fit wonderfully) I noted yours aged 4 in 1891 and that you had mentioned she was born Frances Elizabeth but I couldn't find a Frances Elizabeth either. I had wondered about that Dec 1/4 1889 birth for Elizabeth, since it would fit so well with SA records. I think your girl is in Hampshire in 1901 and it is seeming more and more likely she is also Rosemary's grandmother. Bessie nickname for Elizabeth is quite common. Perhaps she didn't know she was baptised Frances. Seems she left home at a young age, possibly due to mothers death and fathers subsequent remarriages. She may have added Georgina herself. She obviously liked the name passing it on to her youngest child. Interesting that you do have a precedent in the family for name changing.

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 April 11 04:07 BST (UK) »
WTC Records are now online. Bessie  is there  ;)

http://www.aca.sa.gov.au/RecordsSearch.aspx

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline calvert

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 April 11 07:58 BST (UK) »
thanks Kris, yes the family certainly liked changing names, her father james dawson webb, did marry three times, but I believe he only had children from the first marriage (including bessie), most of the children moved on before the 1891/1901 census and father remarried. 

And his new ladies in his life brought along there children to make things more complicated.
Most of bessie's siblings have been terrible to trace because of name changing, in fact her half sister (my direct line) I cant find post 1911, she was born jane davey in 1894, later became janie webb in census....maybe she went abroad as well.

Offline Rosie46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 03:15 BST (UK) »
krisesjoint
 :) thanks kris for info on the cemetery, have copy'd information on the death of bessie my grandmother. what would i do without you sincere thanks.
                                             rosie 46

Offline calvert

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 16:38 BST (UK) »
let us know rosie once you have the marriage cert and then we can take it from there
regards
mark

Offline Rosie46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 21 May 11 03:29 BST (UK) »
 calvert
 :)hi mark i'm still on the trail of my grandmother, she is very hard to track down the reason i could not get her death cert is she remarried.
is your great grandmother called edith,lillie,or laura or have brothers called fred but was called james,sidney,or ernest if so bessie is there sister and she was baptized 6th may 1889  st marys truro frances elizabeth webb and her father is called james dawson webb mother mary jane webb.at age 4 in the census she is called bessie in the same family of names. hope this is some help.

rosie 46

Offline calvert

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 21 May 11 17:08 BST (UK) »
hi rosie
yes that is my lot, I think this is the info I supplied in earlier messages to kris..  Ive read kris messages so knew about her re marriage.  Can you be certain that your bessie is my frances elizabeth.
Did you manage to get bessies marriage cert, because that will be the only way to find out if her dad was james dawson webb or not, and thus linked to my lot.
If it is then I can give you all the information I have on her background and ancestors, let me know

mark

Offline Rosie46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 22 May 11 08:17 BST (UK) »
calvert  :)
hi mark may be another couple of weeks before  i get marriage cert will get back to you as soon as i recieve the information. hopeing i'm succesful.

rosie