Author Topic: Smelt Surname  (Read 5521 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Smelt Surname
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 April 09 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Falconer,
did you notice the 1891 entry I posted?

Just want to make sure you have it.  ;)
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Falconer66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 07:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

Thank you for finding my missing 1891 entry for TWS. Mis-spellings can cause no end of trouble can't they!? I found my grandfather Ethelbert Smelt in the 1901 census as "Ethel But Smelt" !! Thanks again...

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

Thank you for finding my missing 1891 entry for TWS. Mis-spellings can cause no end of trouble can't they!? I found my grandfather Ethelbert Smelt in the 1901 census as "Ethel But Smelt" !! Thanks again...

Try living that name down!  ;D It's a good job we could only read it 100 years later  ;)

They seemed to be quite a couple.

Offline Falconer66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Received the certificates today.......

TWS's  marriage certificate shows that TWS born Beverly 1859 is 'probably' the same TWS who died Kettering 1927 aged 67.

I say probably because I really don't know how much evidence one needs before you can say 'definitely'!

The ages match up, he was a painter and signwriter (Matches previous census records) His father was named Samual which matches his birth certificate, and he married in 1915 in Kettering which is not too far from Derby where he is in the 1911 census. But in the 1911 census he still states he was born in Buttevant.

Just one hiccup! He states he is a bachelor. Now this may be the case because I am unable to find a marriage for him and Kate (She states her maiden name as O'Callaghan on their child Sarah's birth certificate) or him and Helen (Nellie) Frances Rokins.

Not a mention of Ireland or Buttevant anywhere.......Back to the drawing board.......

J

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 23:41 BST (UK) »
There's a lot there that matches for sure.

I notice that father Samuel is a House Painter in 1881.

http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/yorks_family_tree_1.pdf

this seems to indicate (as I interpret it) that 15th Regiment was the East Yorkshires (sorry if I'm not being correct) so all does point.

Did you ever find out how to get that military birth certificate- could GRO help? (just for comparison)

Offline Falconer66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 April 09 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi heywood,

I have talked with the GRO this morning regarding the TWS military birth.

The good news is that they can supply military birth certificates. It is a bit of a roundabout way of obtaining it as it has to be ordered through 'Overseas births' even if he wasn't born overseas! Anyway it is ordered and should be here next week.

And the bad news.......Apparently it is extremely rare for a birth to be registered twice, even military births.
They don't think the two births will be the same TWS although we have to await the certificate to be sure........

I'll keep you posted.

J

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 April 09 17:20 BST (UK) »
If you could hear my 'oohs' and 'aahs' as I read this message - how strange it all is!
Please do keep us posted.
best wishes
heywood

Offline misstaylor49

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 September 14 18:04 BST (UK) »
This is something I've been researching for some time - the two Thomas William Smelts are one and the same. I think he was 'covering his tracks' - he was 'married' to my great grandmother, Kate Barry O'Callaghan, who WAS born in Buttevant, Co. Cork, and the 1881 census has them lodging in Harrogate with their one year old daughter Sarah. Thomas is described as a 'painter (scenic)', probably working in the theatre, and gives his birthplace as Buttevant. (I've found no trace of him in Co. Cork records, hence I think he is your man from Beverley). By 1891, he was 'married' to someone else - Nellie Rokins, a vocalist, and went on to have around 11 children with her