Author Topic: Niggling us for years  (Read 1407 times)

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
Niggling us for years
« on: Tuesday 26 August 14 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Our great great Grandma Maria Andrews was born in Plymouth in 1822. Through anecdotal evidence,certificates ,censuses and other info ,we know all about her and her life. There is just one odd thing: Her father Richard Andrews was a soldier based at the Royal Citadel for some of his career. I have his discharge papers but not his Attestation unfortunately. He served in the 28th regiment during the 1810's and the 3rd Royal Veterans in early 1820's. On his marriage in 1820, he is in the 3rd Royal Veterans which tallies perfectly. However he was discharged in 1821. On our great great Grandma's baptism record, he is down as serving in the 28th regiment ,(he was already discharged) and living in the Citadel. Also, my great great Grandma's parents are down as Richard and Elizabeth Andrews, when her mother was Mary Andrews. I have looked at this on and off for years and cannot work it out. There is only one Maria Andrews that fits and my Granddad always said that she was born in the Citadel. Could records be this wrong? Richard definitely did not re-enlist ,as when he left he was 'deaf and worn out'.
Any additional ideas on this would be great.
Thanks
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Niggling us for years
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 17:48 BST (UK) »
The answer is very simple enlisted men & men receiving a pension could be called back to serve in the army when required. They effectively enlisted for life.
The veteran battalions were formed from army pensioners and invalids to enable able bodied men to be put forward into the line.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
Re: Niggling us for years
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 20:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this information.Richard was discharged in 1821 after he married. Would it not then be strange to be back in a regiment he was in years before and not another veterans battalion as he was unwell in many respects?We also still need to sort out why the parents are wrong on the record.
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford