Author Topic: Kathleen Emily Singleton Driscoll  (Read 3113 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kathleen Emily Singleton Driscoll
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 14:14 GMT (UK) »
1 match comes up for a Kathleen Morgan b 1916 on Scotlands people  :)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 14:28 GMT (UK) »
That does look promising , Forfarian and Rosie  :)

Kathleen E Sing(as much as can be entered) Morgan in Stirling(shire).

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Father could have been based Stirling Castle maybe ?  :)

Offline judy purssell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry folks!  I had a "senior moment" there!  Driscoll was her married name.  Her maiden name was Morgan. 

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Don't worry about that  ;)

Sounds like people have been able to find her birth. Needs to be ordered though as mentioned (100 yr privacy rule for viewing birth cert online). Cheaper to do this likely via www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ Assuming your maternal grandmother was Scottish, you can then use the additonal units/credits to view further images of certs etc online on SP.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judy purssell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Drew a blank with Scotlandspeople.  Any idea what would have happened if they hadn't registered the birth up in Scotland?  Can't find her on BMD. j

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Drew a blank with Scotlandspeople.  Any idea what would have happened if they hadn't registered the birth up in Scotland?  Can't find her on BMD. j

You can see from previous posts in this thread that her birth is indexed at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk as Kathleen E Sing Morgan in Stirlingshire in 1916. It is customary for a long given name to be abbreviated in the index. When I put that information into the SP search engine, I get the same result. If you try looking for Kathleen Emily Morgan you will not find her. The original document will spell out all her names in full.

Although she is in the index at SP, you will not be able to download a copy of her birth certificate because she was born less than 100 years ago. You will either have to order a copy through the web site, or try to find someone who is going to the SP Centre and would be willing to transcribe the details for you.

If the birth had not been registered, the parents could have been fined or I suppose ultimately imprisoned. It was legally compulsory to register a birth within a set period from the start of civil registration in 1855. IIRC the set period was 21 days, but I don't have my book handy at the moment so I can't check that.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Grangemouth is the district showing on that entry.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline judy purssell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 October 14 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to Forfarian for this info.  I probably would have had her Birth Certificate had not the house been damaged by a bomb four houses down the road during WW2, and a lot of their possessions being looted!  There were unscrupulous people around even then!  I have spoken to my brother, and he remembers Mum mentioning Grangemouth, so perhaps I have found the answer!