Author Topic: William Carroll Lord Mayor of Dublin (1819-1890)  (Read 20128 times)

Offline danadavkins

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Carroll Lord Mayor of Dublin (1819-1890)
« on: Saturday 27 November 10 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if there is a biography of him online? I have found the Dublin marriages of his daughters on the Irish Genealogy site and a brief mention of his 1890 death in Dublin. The news item of his death was dated Dec. 6,1890 stating he had died "last week". I'd like to know more about him, who he married, where he was born etc., his family background more than his political. His 3 daughters were married at St Andrews Church but I couldn't identify any marriage record for him. He lived on Fitzwilliam Street in the 1860s until his death in 1890 and was the Lord Mayor in the mid 1860s. He interests me because he was a cousin of the priest who was my grandmother's family priest for many years in New York. He was Rev. James Hourigan from Tipperary. He lived with William Carroll for a few weeks in 1841 in Dublin before leaving for New York. If I can't access a biography online what might my other sources be? Thank you.   

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Carroll Lord Mayor of Dublin (1819-1890)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 November 10 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Dana D

Sir William Carrollwas Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1868 and 1869.
From my source work on the Irish Times newspaper I give the following items:
  For the edition of 25th February 1870 there is a reference to a Miss Carroll and Lady Carroll on Page 6

On the  15th March 1870 there is a reference to Sir William Carroll in an advert on Page 1.
T he marriage of John S. (son of Sir William Carroll ) is mentioned on Page 8 of the edition of 5th May 1870.

Regards     Quaxer

Offline danadavkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Quaxer,

Thank you for your response and mentioning the Irish Times Archives as your source. I had not thought of this as a source and look forward to adding this to my research. Although my humble Irish ancestors had a very indirect connection to this William Carroll he caught my attention because he had held the Dublin office first held by Daniel O'Connell and this made an impression on me knowing that he was a cousin of the priest who cared for 3 generations of my grandmother's family. Thank you for the time you took to find this additional information about him.

Dana

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Dana

Thanks for your recent.
I forgot to give his Dublin address which was No.33 Upper Fitzwilliam Street Dublin.

Regards     Quaxer

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 22:00 GMT (UK) »
a few additional details on William from various directories :

Corporation of Dublin City
  Lord Mayor : The Right Hon. William Carroll, M.D., Mansion House, Dawson Street
  Secretary to the Lord Mayor : John S. Carroll esq., 33 Upr Fitzwilliam St & Mansion Hse
  Chaplain : Rev. Mr. Russell

He is also listed as one of three Councillors listed for the Royal Exchange Ward of the city with addresses at 33 Upr Fitzwilliam St. and Woodlawn, Ballinteer, Dundrum. Ballinteer is in South County Dublin and to the south of Dundrum. The Lord Mayor was elected yearly from the councillors and aldermen of the city.

Mayor - Rt. Hon. Robert Garde Durdin
  Cllr. (Royal Ex. Wrd) - Sir Wm. Carroll M.D. J.P., 33 Upr Fitzwilliam St & Woodlawn

1879 & 1880

Mayor : Rt. Hon. Sir John Barrington
  Cllr. (Royal Ex. Wrd) - Sir Wm. Carroll M.D. J.P., Woodlawn

He is not listed at Woodlawn in 1884 - instead there's a Jno. Classen Stephens esq.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Dana,
Might this be your James?

Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin), Friday, April 8th, 1853
CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY OF IRELAND

Additional contributions collected in the DIOCESE of NEW YORK and ALBANY by the Rev Dr Donnelly in aid of the fund for establishing the CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY of IRELAND -

Diocese of ALBANY, Binghamton, Broome Co, NY
Rev James Hourigan, Pastor    $50

regards

Offline danadavkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 December 10 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Quaxer, Shane, hanes teulu,

Thank you to each of you!

Quaxer, The Fitzwilliam St address was helpful but especially interesting because now I realize how this street has been so much of Dublin's history.

Shane, The additional William Carroll information you sent is very welcome because it provides more names to explore regarding the history of Dublin.

hanes teulu, Yes this was my family's priest, Rev. James Hourigan, who is recorded in the Freeman's Journal as donating to the fund for establishing the Catholic University of Ireland in 1853. You've provided me with another interesting research path to follow, the establishment of this university and its history and the Freeman's Journal as a source.

Sincerely,
Dana   

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 December 10 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Dana

Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser, Tuesday, September 28, 1869

THE LATE DINNER AT CROSTHWAITE HALL, KINGSTON - we understand that the Rt Hon. Sir William Carroll, Lord Mayor of Dublin, Lady Carroll and several friends paid a return visit to J J Crosthwithe Esq, TC, at Crosthwaite Hall, Kingstown, yesterday and that a sumptuous entertainment was provided for them by the popular and hospitable proprietor. In the evening his Lorship took train for Cork. Mr Crosthwaite and Mr Lagan, Town Commissioners, also left that town yesterday on a visit to Killarney. These gentlemen will meet and dice with the Lord Mayor at Cork on Wednesday next.

regards

Offline donnamariacarlin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I was really thrilled to come across your message.  I am a final year student at University of Ulster, Coleraine and I completed a dissertation in May on Sir William and a libel trial he was involved in.  I have continued my research on Sir William and his family, as I am looking to do a Masters dissertation with a biography of Sir William, so I can fill you in on quite a bit of extra family information. I also have information on his medical qualifications and family burial records and quite a few contacts you may be interested in.

I would be absolutely thrilled if you could get in touch as there is also a ref to Rev. Hourigan as well and I really would be delighted to hear from you.

Many thanks and I hope to hear from you soon!!

Donnamaria