Author Topic: john aston Staffordshire  (Read 3674 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: john aston Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 September 14 21:40 BST (UK) »
I'm intrigued by a whole line of Christopher Penr[h]yn Astons with Birminghamand London connections that appear to lead back to on b c1799. He is difficult to follow, but found him on 1861 - yet another gun maker

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 September 14 22:11 BST (UK) »
and another child to follow

John Henry Aston [image shows a third forename - Penryn]
Birth 1 Dec 1823
Baptism 14 Mar 1825, Birmingham, St Philip
parents John , merchants clerk, and Ann of Hampstead Row, Handsworth

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 September 14 09:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mabel.

My great (3) grandfather was Samuel John Aston He was baptised t St Margarets, Westminster 1802. I found there were 4 other Aston's with the same parents baptised between 1799 and 1807, one of them being a Christopher Penryn Aston, who in turn had a son called Christopher Penryn Aston, This was a big clue as the marriage between John and Ann could not have been traced without it, (not for certain anyway). As you rightly said it was in 1798 at St James in Picadilly, i went there and also St Margarets to take a few pics back in July, nice church but loads of wino's sleeping in the pews!!!

I saw the Ann Penryn you mention (DOB 1783) on another family tree. Given the  marriage was 1798 I was sceptical if this was our girl as she would have been aged 15 when married. I eventually found a probate for her dated 1859, she died a spinster. The 1851 census shows Ann Aston as coming from Shropshire and I have found an AnnE Penryn born in Shropshire in 1778 so I am happy that this is my Great (4) Grandmother.

I guess however the problem that is faced is that i do not have any records that relate to my John Aston after 1829, (Chris kindly pointed out above he signed his daughters marriage certificate in that year). I have tried to find marriages for his children after that date which may tell me if he was alive after 1829 and so cut down the window of his death from between 1830 and 1850, but to no avail. Unless this can be done it appears financially impossible to send off for so many GRO death certificates for the umpteen John Aston's that died during that period, (well from 1837 onwards that is). I think I can buy the CD-ROM of England and Wales burials for around £28 I may have to do this and then begin a long search for graves in the hope they may have gravestones with citations which may help.

Many thanks in helping me.

Eric

Offline Allister Hardiman

• RootsChat Extra
  • **PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 October 14 16:33 BST (UK) »
Dear Eric the Penguin, John Aston's family (not him obviously as he had died) to whit: wife Ann Penrhyn and kids, emigrated to Australia. Their daughter Rebecca married Edward Smith, but she died shortly after. Edward then married her sister Priscilla Penrhyn Aston. She too died. These deaths occurred in Adelaide, which can be seen in the online search of Australian newspapers (just google "TROVE"). At the time of his daughter Sussanah Rebecca's death in 1871, John is described as 'the late." Christopher Penryhn Aston's daughter seems to have married a Mr William Frederick Webster, of Port Adelaide. In Adelaide and Western Australia the Penryhn-Astons are all over the place. My contact details can be found on my blog called "Out of the ink bottle" -Allister Hardiman

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 October 14 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Allister

Thanks for your post.

I am unsure if you have the right  Ann Aston here. John Aston and Ann Penryn had 13 children. 3 of those had the middle name Penryn. I list all below

Christopher Penryn Aston (1799)
William Derbyshire Aston (1800)
Elizabeth Mary Aston (1801)
Samuel John Aston (1802)
William Henry Aston (1805)
Ann Darbyshire Aston (1807)
Sussana Rebecca Aston (1811) (baptised in Birmingham in 1821 with 3 of the Birmingham children)
Priscilla Sarah Aston (1813)  (Ditto)

BIRMINGHAM (Baptised at St Philliips, Birmingham)

Helen Maria Aston (1815)
Thomas Edward Aston (1817)
Caroline Penryn Aston (1820-1821)
Rebecca Penryn Aston (1825)

Whilst I have really only been looking at my direct line, (the Aston generation above is the exception), I have noticed other Penryn Aston's around. For instance my Great (x2) Grandfather had a brother called Edwin, he named his Son Christopher Penryn Aston, (his own Great (x2) Grandson has been in touch with me). My Great (x3) Grandfather above, Samuel John Aston (DOB 1802), had a brother Christopher (DOB 1799). He called his son  Christopher Penryn Aston.

I Have a 1861 UK Census entry for Ann Aston (nee Penryn). She is 83 years old and in receipt of a pension so I doubt she would have upped sticks and left for Oz. However if you know your Ann Aston was born in 1778 ( In Whitchurch, Shropshire) I take it all back!!!  ;)

In any event let me know, whatever you say would be very interesting to me.

Cheers

Eric

Offline Allister Hardiman

• RootsChat Extra
  • **PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 October 14 01:28 BST (UK) »
Eric, it may very well be, as it seems to be that Ann Penrhyn stayed in England. It might account for me not being able to find her death notice in Australia. I am not sure where the following fits in but you might be able to place it:

South Australian Chronicle: ASTON. — On the 25th April, at Crafers, Susannah Rebecca, daughter of the late John Aston, Esq , of Aston, Warwickshire, England, and of Ann Penrhyn, his wife, of Penrhyn, Wales.

Rebecca Penrhyn Aston, married Edward Smith 27 Dec 1855 at the bride's residence, Queenstown, South Australia.

Priscilla Sarah Aston died May 1866 at Crafers, South Australia, beloved wife of Edward Smith.

South Australian Advertiser: 9 Dec 1876, Webster.—On the 4th December, at the residence of her son-in-law, C. W. Hamilton, Esq., Mount Pleasant, Susan Isabella, the second daughter of Christopher Penhryn Aston, Esq. of Bayswater, London, and the dearly beloved wife of William Frederick Webster, of Port Wakefield, South Australia. London TIMES please copy.

Sydney Morning Herald: 14 Oct 1924 “IN THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW SOUTH WALES.-Probate Jurisdiction.-In the Will of FREDERICA PENRHYN ASTON HAMILTON late of Walkerville-road St. Peters formerly of North Adelaide in the State of South Australia Widow deceased. Application will he made after fourteen days from the publication hereof that Probate of the last Will of the abovenamed deceased granted by the Supreme Court of South Australia Testamentary Causes”

South Australian Register: 14 May 1924 “HAMILTON.— On the 13th May, at Private Hospital, North. Adelaide, Frederica Penrhyn Aston, widow of the late Charles White Hamilton, formerly of Mount Pleasant. Peace, perfect peace.”

Let me know how these fit it and I'll look up some more material for you.

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 October 14 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Allister

Thanks for the reply.

I do not know if you subscribe to Ancestry.com, (my part of the family tree is on that site and may be of interest to you).

In the 1851 UK Census  Ann was living with 4 of her daughters.. In 1861 I have her living up in Northamptonshire as a lodger. I actually cannot find an entry for her in 1841 but the three daughters that appears to have emigrated to Australia are living together in Birmingham on that census.  Where their mother Ann is I do not know, all I can guess is she was away on the night the census was taken.

The information you provide about Ann being from Penrhyn Wales is interesting, as I am looking for her father. If you look at my other posts via my profile you will see this is a subject I am asking for help on

Susan Isabella, the 2nd daughter of Christoper Penryn Aston is the CP Aston mentioned in my previous email, (DOB 1799). Susan was baptised at St James Westminster on 26/12/1826.

Maybe if you drop me a private email we can swap some more info, (i.e. for instance how does your family fit in?).

Cheers

Eric