Author Topic: John Madell (1782-1847) - need marriage info to Hannah  (Read 586 times)

Offline drhewitt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Madell (1782-1847) - need marriage info to Hannah
« on: Monday 23 June 14 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have never been able to find a marriage for John Madell and his wife Hannah. They had several children, the first being Sarah born in 1805 so I am assuming he married before then. I do not know the surname of Hannah.

Someone recently commented on my Ancestry family tree that John and Hannah were married in Ipswich on 27 Dec 1803 according to daughter Caroline's settlement papers. Caroline was born in 1812 and died in London in 1832. She had a nine month old child who died some 9 months later.

I have looked in Ipswich for marriages but none were found. I have tried to find settlement papers for Caroline but no luck.

Can someone help me?

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: John Madell (1782-1847) - need marriage info to Hannah
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 July 14 18:55 BST (UK) »
The online information states St.Mary at Quay Ipswich 27/12/1803 and gives her as Hannah Cook. Also says she died aged 76 in Hackney 1862?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline drhewitt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Madell (1782-1847) - need marriage info to Hannah
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 July 14 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the info. I just received the copy of the marriage certificate from Suffolk record office. Both were of the parish of St. Mary at Quay. Hannah's father was a witness. They were married by banns. I was hoping it would be by license so I could have definite proof this was the right John Madell. I think it is the right one, all I need is daughter Caroline's settlement papers. She indicates her parents were married in 1803 at Ipswich.

John is a direct ancestor so I really want to fill in the gaps. He was born in 1782 so would have been 21 when he married. I don't know why he travelled to Ipswich.

They appear in the 1841 census as "Muddle", a mispelling of Madell. John died in 1847. Hannah, I believe, did die in the workhouse, but the census shows an Elizabeth Madell, but when I ordered the death cert. it did say Hannah and the age is about right (assuming she was born in 1786)