Author Topic: LMA Coroner's Warrant report lookup Edward Thomas Oct 1856, Poplar, London  (Read 3110 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: LMA Coroner's Warrant report lookup Edward Thomas Oct 1856, Poplar, London
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 15:27 BST (UK) »
Who were Edwards parents  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 15:34 BST (UK) »
Presumably he's the chap baptised at Milton by Gravesend 3 Jun 1838 to William Penn Thomas and Millicent Anne (by 1841-51 William seems to be with a Mabel/Mabel Lucy).

They're in Poplar in 1851, without Edward.  HO107/1556/173/19.

Death, Mar qtr 1840 Gravesend: Milicent Ann Thomas (buried at Milton on 21 Feb 1840, aged 25)

Marriage, Dec qtr 1840 St Saviour: William Penn Thomas to Mabel Lucy Lott
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline lmktacwa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 15:58 BST (UK) »
Who were Edwards parents  :-\

Millicent Ann Lott and William Penn Thomas. (sorry, shoulda put that in there).
I am very up to speed on the parents dates (birth, marriage(s), death, Apprenticeship papers, wills, etc.)... so it did not even occur to me to put that in there! 

This Edward has eluded me.  His father married twice.  To Edward's mother Millicent first, then after  her death, to her sister, Mabel Lucy Lott.  Mabel is my direct line 3rd great grandmother.  Interesting family (Mabel and Millicent had 13 brothers/sisters!)...   I have really sleuthed out a lot of information and feel comfortable with 85% of the family members' information.  There are just a couple that have eluded me.  Edward is one.

There is a family "tale" about a son of a relative dying at sea soon after his mother had a dream that he had done so. Since I don't know this Edward's cause of death, and with the coroner's warrant, I am hoping this is our "son lost at sea" and square that circle. 

I sure am grateful for everyone's help on this site.  I have, in less than 4 hours solved 2 BIG mysteries in my real hard to research cases.  (where parish records are not online that I can find).

I hope I can learn more about this site over time, and contribute where I can as well.  I have a HUGE amount of corroborated Thomas and Lott family history to include a Brown's Bible with names and dates, and family heirloom items that are described in Wills from 150 years ago.  Three Lott family members owned and ran (victualers) The Globe Inn @1 Milton Place, Gravesend, Kent.  (for a period spanning almost 30 years I think).  All the family heirlooms were pivotal in my being able to compare & confirm online records with the Lott family Bible (c. 1812).

I have so many interesting stories, as a matter of fact that I'm inspired to write a book.  I'm sure I'm not the first to say that and not do it though.  But we'll see.

Cheers. I work the nightshift and I am off to bed.
~Lisa

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 16:00 BST (UK) »
Has Edward been found in the 1851 census?
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline lmktacwa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 16:03 BST (UK) »
Presumably he's the chap baptised at Milton by Gravesend 3 Jun 1838 to William Penn Thomas and Millicent Anne (by 1841-51 William seems to be with a Mabel/Mabel Lucy).

They're in Poplar in 1851, without Edward.  HO107/1556/173/19.

Death, Mar qtr 1840 Gravesend: Milicent Ann Thomas (buried at Milton on 21 Feb 1840, aged 25)

Marriage, Dec qtr 1840 St Saviour: William Penn Thomas to Mabel Lucy Lott
Yes, thank you!  You are confirming what I have documented, so thank you!  I find that Edward's missing from the census and the fact that his father was a Pilot on the Thames makes me think that Edward may have been apprenticing on a ship.  I've started trying to look at ship registers for the census which are challenging to find.   Or he could have been with a friend  They had about 20 direct relatives in and around the area.  But I can't find him having stayed with a relative on the night of the census. 

I responded in length to the previous poster, I have more stuff in there.
Thank you so much for taking the time and energy to respond and provide information!
This website and the people on here are just fabulous!
I'm off to bed...
~Lisa

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 16:50 BST (UK) »

There is a family "tale" about a son of a relative dying at sea soon after his mother had a dream that he had done so. Since I don't know this Edward's cause of death, and with the coroner's warrant, I am hoping this is our "son lost at sea" and square that circle. 

According to this link
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/bmdatseaorabroad.htm
Any record made of a birth or death at sea from 1837 onwards was sent directly to the General Register Office and recorded in the Marine Register.

this would mean his death should not have been registered in Poplar.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 22:39 BST (UK) »

Here's the baptism entry in case you haven't seen it:

http://tinyurl.com/Edward-Thomas
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lmktacwa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 August 16 21:34 BST (UK) »
It took me a long time, but I did finally find Edward Thomas' cause of death.  I like to tidy things up so here is what I found so I can close out this message thread and also provide closure for anyone in the Thomas/Lott family line who comes across this message in the future.  I took a leap of faith that Edward was living in Poplar when he died, so I ordered the death certificate of Edward Thomas from Poplar.  I was lucky!

Death: from Death Certificate: Found on the River Thames, drowned, no physical marks. Buried in St. Georges Church, Gravesend, By Coroners Warrant

From everything I have read, this is a very common cause of death in and around the river Thames.  The coroner didn't seem to know how or why he drowned.  I wonder if he was drunk.  If he fell off of a ship, it probably would have been reported and part of the Coroner's report. 

I did have trouble finding him in the 1851 census.  Though I am pretty confident I found him in Poplar, with status of "Visiting". Occupation: "Calker" (assume "caulker" which relates to caulking ships to make them watertight).  Makes sense considering he grew up in Poplar.  The folks he was "visiting" were Jane Liddiard, age 49, "wife of seaman" and Rupert Chas Liddiard, age 18, "boilermaker".  William Penn's parents were living in Poplar at this time (and he is not shown as being in their home on the night of the census), so it is highly likely he was visiting Rupert the night of the census.  His father was a pilot at the time.  Though this is another weird mystery considering he was apprenticed as a Dyer. At any rate,  I can close this Edward chapter. 

On a side note of interest: I opened this message with the mystery of who the seaman in our family was who died at sea with that event having been dreamed about by his mother the night before the death. I thought it was Edward Thomas, but as we now know, he drowned on the river Thames.  However, through further research, I found our ancestor who died at sea which makes me very happy that the family story, passed down for over 150 years, is true.

here is what I found out:

24Nov1856: UK, Apprentices Indentured in Merchant Navy, 1824-1910 lists William Penn Thomas (half brother to our Edward of Poplar) as being on the vessel "Director".  He was indentured to James Thomson & Co., London.  He was "bound" for 4 years.  He was 15 years old.

26Dec1859: UK, Apprentices Indentured in Merchant Navy, 1824-1910 location: Eastbourne, Sussex, England: shows red line through William Penn Thomas' name with the following notation also in red pencil:

"Drowned off Beachy Head" with the date "26Dec1859".  These indenture papers show that 3 years, one month and 6 days after being apprenticed into the Merchant Navy, William Penn Thomas "Drowned at sea". His mother, Mabel Lucy Thomas is the mother who dreamed of this event the night before, which was Christmas night.

This family endured so much hardship.  I am writing my ancestral book about the Lotts and Thomas' and have been delighted that I have been able to uncover so much information.  Much thanks to the folks on this forum who take the time to care, research, respond, and rejoice in the solved mysteries.

~Lisa

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 August 16 21:42 BST (UK) »
I do love an update!  Thanks for taking the trouble to round off this interesting thread.