Author Topic: Thomas Nicholson & Ann Brown: COMPLETE  (Read 17818 times)

Offline Nigel B

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Nicholson & Ann Brown
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Nigel,

As you live in Newcastle, you could see the marriage on film.   Jennifer's labours has turned up the " Bishop's Transcrift", which is a copy of the original church marriage record. The transcripts were sent periodically from each parish to Bishop of Durham.  It is possible that original record contains additional info !

Records available in Tyne & Wear Archives, Blandford Square ( Discovery Museum building- phone to book a filmreader..  www.tyneandweararchives.org.uk)

Michael

Had a fairly productive evening at the Discovery Museum

Viewed orginal record of the marriage for Thomas Nicholson & Ann Brown 17th October 1808 at St Nicholas Newcastle, gaving  two witnesses a Thomas Brown and John Thompson.  John appears to have witnesses a few of the wedding at that time as did a Thomas Brown, but the signature of "mine" does looks different from the others. So he could be the father of Ann, who was Thomas Brown and was a bookbinder/stationer reviewing the directories  for newcastle  1838 & 39 I found Thomas Brown and Son bookbinders & stationer, the only one listed in Newcastle.

Reading a pamphlet on book binders found that Thomas Brown I,  died in 1822 was apprenticed to William Charnley admitted by Servitude to the Company of upholsters, tinplate workers and stationers on the 8th Dec  1774 and was joined by his son Thomas Brown II and after 1801 company appeared in directories as Thomas Brown & Son. Not sure yet if Ann's father was thomas Brown the 1st or 2nd , tend to think the 1st though.

Found Thomas Nicholson listed as a Ornamental plaster, Northumberland Street in the 1824 General Directory. Then his son Thomas Brown Nicholson being apprenticed for 7 years on the 6th Feb 1826 to John Walker.

Think another Tuesday evening needs to be booked  :D
Budge: Hawick & Anstruther
Ballantyne: Galashiels
Nicholson: Newcastle upon Tyne & Prestwich
Bartlett:  Dorset

Offline Nigel B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 18:48 GMT (UK) »
The two baptism records at Tynemouth:

Ann Nicholson, daughter of Thomas Nicholson, Plasterer, in the parish of Tynemouth and county of Northumberland, by his wife Ann Brown, daughter of Thomas Brown, Bookbinder, of Newcastle upon Tyne, was born April 5th 1811 and baptised April 17th 1811, by Daniel Isaac.

Thomas Brown Nicholson, son of Thomas Nicholson, Plasterer, Tynemouth parish, county of Northumberland, by his wife Ann Brown, daughter of Thomas Brown, Stationer, of Newcastle, County of Northumberland, was born December 26th 1812, baptised Jan 31st 1813, by William Bayton.

Three baptisms at Brunswick Wesleyan Chapel, Newcastle :

John Dobson Nicholson, son of Thomas Ann Nicholson, Plasterer, of Mosley St. All Saints parish, Newcastle, born Oct 8th 1818, baptised March 9th 1819, by Edmund Grindrod.

Elizabeth Brown Nicholson, daughter of Thomas and Ann Nicholson, Plasterer, of St. Nicholas Parish Newcastle, born October 22nd 1820, baptised November 7th 1820, by William Theobald.

Mary Nicholson, daughter of Thomas and Ann Nicholson, Plasterer, of St. Nicholas Parish Newcastle, born June 20th 1824, baptised July 3rd 1824, by John Davis.

Alan.

Looks like the three additional batisms you had were correct :-)

Just received a copy of Thomas Brown Nicholson marriage cert to Ann Smith 1838 and its witness by George Dobson Nicholson.

Wondering why there is the apparent gap between child Nr 2 Thomas 1812 and the third child George 1818. More worked needed I think ... :D

Thanks for you help  :)

Offline jfeenstr

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 08 January 11 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Reading a pamphlet on book binders found that Thomas Brown I,  died in 1822 was apprenticed to William Charnley admitted by Servitude to the Company of upholsters, tinplate workers and stationers on the 8th Dec  1774 and was joined by his son Thomas Brown II and after 1801 company appeared in directories as Thomas Brown & Son.

I am brand new to this website on account of this passage. I am the Great Great Great Great Grandson of Thomas Brown II, and would be very curious to see a copy of this pamphlet about his father and any information that anyone might have about Thomas Brown I and his family, as I know next to nothing about him.

Thomas Brown II emigrated to Toronto in 1846 and set up a bookbinding business. After retiring due to ill health, sons Thomas, Richard and John took over the family business under the name Brown Brothers in 1856. Their shop on King Street, Toronto can be clearly seen in this 1856 view, courtesy of the Toronto Archives:

http://tinyurl.com/23cqeu8

There was a 1924 family tree distributed amongst the family (which we call the Little Green Brown Book) that gives a little family history. I can provide anyone interested with a scanned copy of it, as well as my own on-going research fleshing it out with dates (none were given in the original), copies of obituaries, marriage notices, etc. as well as bringing it up to date.

Cheers,

James Feenstra
Originally (and still sometimes) of Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Now of Fairfax, Virginia, United States

Offline Nigel B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 13 January 11 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Reading a pamphlet on book binders found that Thomas Brown I,  died in 1822 was apprenticed to William Charnley admitted by Servitude to the Company of upholsters, tinplate workers and stationers on the 8th Dec  1774 and was joined by his son Thomas Brown II and after 1801 company appeared in directories as Thomas Brown & Son.

I am brand new to this website on account of this passage. I am the Great Great Great Great Grandson of Thomas Brown II, and would be very curious to see a copy of this pamphlet about his father and any information that anyone might have about Thomas Brown I and his family, as I know next to nothing about him.

Thomas Brown II emigrated to Toronto in 1846 and set up a bookbinding business. After retiring due to ill health, sons Thomas, Richard and John took over the family business under the name Brown Brothers in 1856. Their shop on King Street, Toronto can be clearly seen in this 1856 view, courtesy of the Toronto Archives:

http://tinyurl.com/23cqeu8

There was a 1924 family tree distributed amongst the family (which we call the Little Green Brown Book) that gives a little family history. I can provide anyone interested with a scanned copy of it, as well as my own on-going research fleshing it out with dates (none were given in the original), copies of obituaries, marriage notices, etc. as well as bringing it up to date.

Cheers,

James Feenstra
Originally (and still sometimes) of Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Now of Fairfax, Virginia, United States

Unfortumately I don't have a copy of the pamphlet, Ann Brown was my 4 x great grand mother, and I believe was the older sister to Thomas Brown II by three years. The the Baptism of their daughter Ann born 5th April 1811  gives Ann Brown father Thomas Brown  occupation as Bookbinder and when their son Thomas Brown born 26th Dec 1812 has Ann Brown father occupation as stationer.

I can only find one Thomas Brown bookbinder at that time in Newcastle upon Tyne so quite likely related.

I have not been able to find any records for Ann or Thomas Nicholson after the 1851 census

All the best in your research

Nigel

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 14 January 11 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Nigel,

You asked a year ago what B or L means after a marriage.  If you haven't figured it out now--it is by banns or by license.  The Marriage Bonds and Allegations are available on line on the family search site with the BT's. If by license.  Banns are probably available at T and W. 

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 14 January 11 00:50 GMT (UK) »
The closest Thomas Nicholson I could find born in Eaglescliffe was one baptised 25 Aug 1782 son of Thomas and Isabel Nicholson of Eaglescliffe, Bricklayer.

Maybe papa Nicholson layed the brick and jr learned to apply a stucco to them? ;D

Thomas Nicholson married Isabella Breckon 13 May 1777, by banns Wit: Henry Eeles and Ellen Nicholson neither were serial witnesses, Eaglescliffe

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb

Offline Nigel B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 14 January 11 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Nigel,

You asked a year ago what B or L means after a marriage.  If you haven't figured it out now--it is by banns or by license.  The Marriage Bonds and Allegations are available on line on the family search site with the BT's. If by license.  Banns are probably available at T and W. 

Janis

Janis

Thanks for update and your help :-)

Found their marriage at T &W I do need to have another visit back there as saw a transcript of Thomas Nicholson's son, Thomas Brown Nicholson 1812-1881,  being apprenticed as a plasteron the 6th Feb 1826 to John Walker for 7 years; Waller, Bricklayer and Plasters Company, hoping the original might give more information on his Dad.

Think your information on Thomas Nicholson father being a bricklayer is quite possible correct .

Intererstling Thomas Nicholson had another son George Dobson Nicholson born 1818, wonder if the Dobson from John Dobson the Architect as about the same era

Thanks again for help

Offline Nigel B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 14 March 11 14:16 GMT (UK) »
The closest Thomas Nicholson I could find born in Eaglescliffe was one baptised 25 Aug 1782 son of Thomas and Isabel Nicholson of Eaglescliffe, Bricklayer.

Maybe papa Nicholson layed the brick and jr learned to apply a stucco to them? ;D

Thomas Nicholson married Isabella Breckon 13 May 1777, by banns Wit: Henry Eeles and Ellen Nicholson neither were serial witnesses, Eaglescliffe

Janis

Thanks for info, looking quite possibly the parents, I have obtain a copy of Thomas Nicholson death cert 1853, confirms occupation as plasterer and same area of newcastle upon tyne as on the 1851 census and age at death of 73, born 1780-81 seems correct.   

Although his wife seems to have died before him as an Ann Baty recorded the death, so next step is to get a death cert for Ann Nicholson death between 1851 and 1853 and registered by Thomas Nicholson appear to be only 2

Was wondering where you got the detail to the marriage of Thomas and Isabell as i could only find basic info i.e. the year ?

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 14 March 11 15:57 GMT (UK) »
I cheat--I have a Herbert Maxwell Wood trancript of Eaglescliffe St. John the Baptist CMB 1540-1812 which is pretty much a word for word transcript of the parish records.

I didn't cheat too much though--it is not indexed so you have to look entry by entry.

Janis