Author Topic: places in Berwick upon Tweed  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
places in Berwick upon Tweed
« on: Sunday 12 October 14 10:37 BST (UK) »
Has anyone local knowledge of Berwick upon Tweed please?
I wouls like to know the position of GREENES and Mariners cottage which on the 1841 census lappears like this: Order of returns for location - Magdalene Field’s House, Calf Hill, Taud Greive’s House, Mariner’s Cottage, Meadow House Inn, Hope.
I believe an ancestor was born at Greenes and then lived in mariner's cottage three years later I would like to know how close the locations are.\it is odd thsat the child was left with such old unrelsted people
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: places in berwick upon Tweed
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 October 14 12:09 BST (UK) »
Magdalene Field’s House is shown on this map
http://maps.nls.uk/view/75664576#zoom=5&lat=1409&lon=3048&layers=BT

Stan

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: places in Berwick upon Tweed
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 October 14 12:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stan I can see High and Low Greens on that plan too so I wonder if that is the Greensa of the birth certificate. if so its not very far I doubt if there was enough land there for a farmer though which is what the father's job was supposed to be. I am begining to doubt if the parents were infact married even though the child had his surname on both the birth certificate and baptism record.
If the adress and the "foster" home were so near surely the Sharos would have known the child's mother.
Umm more to digg about for I can't find a marriage for Jessie (or Jane,Janet,Jean) Edmeston and James Logan nor any sight of either before or after Catherine's birth. Catherine is with the Sharps in 1841 and 1851 as Catherine Logan but she married as Catherine Sharp no father given then
There is a death for Jane LOGAN born 1804 in 1840 but she was wife of John a mariner. from 1841 there is a James Logan  b 1813 Berwick upon Tweed with an Isabella on censuses in various places around Northumberland every child born in a different place as if they did not have legal settlement anywhere he was an Ag Lab. I can't find a marriage for James and Isabella either.
Is it possible John the mariner was made up to explain an absent father for Catherine and her real father was the james with Isabella
Any ideas how I can go further with Catherine's family?

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 October 14 13:11 BST (UK) »
Meadow House Inn is on this map http://maps.nls.uk/view/74939985#zoom=5&lat=9682&lon=13618&layers=BT Mariner’s Cottage could be the ones just to the south.

Stan

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 October 14 10:48 BST (UK) »
The second map seems to show more possibilities to be able to farm what I can't work out is the slope though if I remember right there was quite a drop from the town wall down to the seaand quite a climb uo the main road . Infact the High meeting house was so called as it was on top of the hill not as any indication of the style of worship. Many thanks Stan I'd love to go back and check the records again with my oresent knowledge it must be about 15 years since we last went to Berwick Upon Tweed it just shows how long this brick wall has stood for us.

mcmullin.me.uk