Author Topic: Aughneys..Newtown..Carlow  (Read 36522 times)

Offline elaine curran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aughneys..Newtown..Carlow
« on: Saturday 11 August 12 20:34 BST (UK) »
Am looking for any info.on my husbands' maternal side.
His mother was Margaret Mary Aughney,b.c1902.,d.1948.,buried Newtown Graveyard.,Co.Carlow.(m.John Curran)...siblings:-Mary,b.c1884...Alicia,b.c1886...John,b.c1890...Annie,b.1893...Cathrine,b.c1898...Lizzie,b.c1908 and Brigit,b.c1911.
Father of Margaret Mary was Michael Aughney,b.c1859(m.Catherine Byrne(?)b.c1858)
In 1901 Irish Census,Michael and Catherine lived at house no.2.Newtown(Agha,Carlow)with 5 of their children and also his parents..John Aughney,b.c1818.BLIND.and Alicia Aughney,b.c1823.
Does anyone recognize these names please?
I have hit a brick wall ,as I cant find a marriage for John and Alicia,so cant find their fathers' names,or their mothers' maiden names.
would appreciate any help...thankyou...Elaine

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Aughneys..Newtown..Carlow
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 August 12 20:40 BST (UK) »
Do you know Alicia's maiden name ?

Given the dates of birth for the children it looks like John and Alice married before the start of registration of RC marriages, so a search of parish records would be required - unfortunately these often dont include details of fathers for this timeframe. If James and Alica had any children born after 1864 maybe a cert for one of these would be the way to progress the search...

1901 census for reference : Aughney household, Newtown townland

1911 census : Aughney household, Newtown townland

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline elaine curran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 August 12 20:56 BST (UK) »
thankyou for replying Shane....how would I go about finding any siblings of Michael(b.c 1859),to see if any were born AFTER 1864?

Elaine

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 August 12 21:23 BST (UK) »
I though you might have looked into other Aughney families in the area to see if they may be related.

There doesn't doesn't seem to be any likely children for John and Alice in extracted Civil records, but these dont cover all births.  Aughney is not a common name, so not many registrations for it. Just a couple of good matches between 1864 and 1870. One for a Patrick Aughney - but it's included in extracted records and mother's name is Anne, no father is shown. There's also a James Aughney born 1865, but over near Tullow with parents John and ​ Mary Anne.

No sign of any Aughney households in Newtown townland on Griffith's, which is dated 1852 for this area. Maybe the family moved to the area ?

Have you found a marriage for Michael and Catherine ?
I had a quick look for one but didn't see any good matches ..

Newtown townland is in Agha civil parish and was covered by two separate RC parishes - Bagnalstown (Dunleckney civil parish) and also Leighlin (civil parish of Old Leighlin). I think you will need to investigate records for these for any details of your Aughney family, and cross your fingers that the family didn't move to the area from somewhere else...

Records for Bagnalstown parish go back to 1820, for Leighlinbridge back to 1783 (with some dates missing). Both are available in the NLI, and seem to be also available in to order in LDS Family History centres.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline elaine curran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 August 12 21:56 BST (UK) »
i found this in griffiths valuation...ARDISTAN:-Aughney,James(Roscat)...also,two Josephs and a Stephen,all Roscat.

DUNLECKNEY(I did think Newtown came under dunleckney)John Aughney(Curraghacruit)and Michael Aughney(Kildreenagh)

we were in Kildreenagh a few weeks ago...my husbands' first cousin,Joe(Joseph Patrick)Curran lives there...i could be wrong,but i think he lives in the home place.

FENNAGH:-Joseph Aughney(Castlemore)

found(i cant think where!)..whether it a marriage or a grave inscription,i dont know.....Bridget Aughney,b.c1776..d.1845,and James Aughney,b.c1767..d.1846..parents of John Aughney of Kildreenagh.

wondered if this was "our" John,but was a bit uncertain as he was b.c1818,and by then,Bridget would have been 42 yrs of age and James would have been 51..would this be too old?

DUNLECKNEY Baptisms...1841,John Aughney.,1841,Mary Aughney.,(twins?)both with father John Aughney.,mother ? Corcoran(Newtown)

also found a John Aughney.,b.Carlow,c1817,d.1907...no details given on parents etc.

in BAGENALSTOWN baptisms,there's an Ann Aughney,b.june 1846...father John Aughney..mother Alicia Ryan.

could these be our "blind" John and his wife,Alicia,parents to Michael Aughney?

Elaine

Offline elaine curran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 August 12 22:00 BST (UK) »
just googled it....school IS newtown/dunleckney.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 August 12 22:01 BST (UK) »
in BAGENALSTOWN baptisms,there's an Ann Aughney,b.june 1846...father John Aughney..mother Alicia Ryan.

that last reference sounds promising - definitely worth following up. Did you find any other Aughney baptisms in those records ?

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 August 12 22:05 BST (UK) »
just for reference there are three separate townlands named Newtown in Co. Carlow - the one shown on the census links above in Agha civil parish, and two others in St. Mullin's and Ardoyne civil parishes.

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline elaine curran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 August 12 22:43 BST (UK) »
i've only been to one Newtown..the one where my late in-laws are buried.

there are a few more Bagenalstown baptisms,but none to John and Alicia...the others were ANNE AUGHNEY,bapt.july 1823(5 yrs approx ,later than our "blind" John...father Michael Aughney.,mother Bridget Kinsella(Kildrena)
CATH AUGHNEY,bapt jan 1842.,WILLIAM AUGHNEY,bapt dec 1844.,MARY AUGHNEY,bapt may 1847....all three had same parents..father James Aughney.,mother Mary Brien(Kildrena)
? GAUL,bapt 1848...mother Bridget Aughney..father Philip Gaul(Kildrena)

Elaine