Author Topic: Francis Seaton born around 1774  (Read 5982 times)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Seaton born around 1774
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 January 14 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hunts isn't the easiest county to research online as the LDS wasn't allowed to film many parish registers, so very few have been extracted onto the IGI, although more are on the BVRI. But there are a lot of parishes which aren't online and which haven't been transcribed by Hunts FHS, so the only place to check them is Huntingdonshire Archives. Nor is there a Baptism Index for Hunts, although there is a Marriage Index.

Francis Seaton can't be a common name, so I'd be checking every instance of it in Hunts. Who, for example was the Francis who married Sarah Agutter in Huntingdon in 1783?

Hang on, it's lunchtime here in France. Got to put the potatoes on.

What was his marital status when he married in Rutland? Bachelor or widower? Was a parish of residence other than Langham given? If so it might provide a clue as to his origins. Who were the witnesses? Might they provide a clue?

You could check the CALM online catalogue at Hunts Archives at http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/leisure/archives/catalogue/default.htm

There's a mention of the Stilton Francis in 1810, but there's also a settlement examination of Francis Seaton of Fotheringay Northants at Huntingdon in 1793. Fotheringay is only 7 miles from Stilton. He might be your Francis, he might be your Francis' father, he might be a red herring! But when you're struggling, as you are, then you have to follow up every possibility.

You can check burials in Hunts in the FindMyPast index at http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/parish-records/baptisms  (click on Burials at the top). Who was Francis Seaton buried at Sawtry in 1804? Sawtry's only three miles from Stilton - I don't believe in genealogical coincidences!

But you should go back one generation at a time, checking out each vital event at a time. Which is why your first task should be to check the Langham marriage entry. If that provides no clues then you need to look at the other events that I've suggested.

And keep asking questions!

David

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Jacquelinemercer1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 January 14 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, thank you for your messages back yesterday.  Can I ask - what is a settlement statement - I looked on the 'Calms' thing you suggested and saw these there but do not know what they are - is it where you seek permission to move into the Parish - show that you can support yourself etc.

Also, I have found a newspaper article that is really playing on my mind, to do with Francis Seaton b1774 d1841.  In this newspaper report it mentions a few of the children, a son-in-law and a grandson (names that I know to be true to Francis Seaton from his will and other research), but what is really baffling me is a reference to Francis Seaton (son ) born 1795 - in all research and other peoples trees it is assumed that Francis b1795 is the first born - in this article he is referred to as 2nd son to Francis Seaton who died JulyAugust 1841.  I am beginning to wonder if there is a story connected to Sarah Agutter who marries a Francis Seaton in 1783 - did they have a son, and then maybe Francis remarried and perhaps this is how Francis b1795 becomes the 2nd son. 

Do you have any idea on where I can purchase the marriage certificate for Francis Seaton and Sarah Cole - as you say his position as to whether a bachelor or widower could be of importance here.  For the first time today I have found a website where they actually refer to Langham as being in Rutland and say (on the website) they have marriages for Langham so I might give them a call - Oakham  Library.

Thank you for all your feedback, it is appreciated.
Jackie

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 January 14 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackie

A Settlement Examination was when a person was interviewed to establish his parish of legal settlement. These usually occurred when the person claimed poor relief and the parish was keen to shift the burden onto another parish ie he's no legal right to be in our parish so we're not obliged to pay him' we'll examine him to establish to which parish he belongs. Once they'd deduced which parish he belonged to they would obtain a Removal Order and ship him and his family back to his rightful parish of settlement.

As the marriage was pre 1837 there won't be a certificate. Just the entry in the parish register, which will give you the two names, their marital status (although this can't be relied on; I've seen a number of widowers described as bachelors), their parish of residence at the time of the marriage, which is not the same thing as their parish of birth, and the names of the witnesses. If there's no transcript available, which in any case may not include all the details - some for example don't include the witnesses, you need to order Langham microfilm from your nearest LDS Family History Centre - a list can be found on their site at www.familysearch.org

So far as the newspaper article is concerned you will probably need to do more research to work out the relationships, and just to throw another variable into the pot you say that Francis was born 1795 yet his father and Sarah Cole didn't marry until 28 March 1798, so a red flag is raised immediately. If 1795 is the right date, and it looks correct as it's on the BVRI with mother Sarah, then Sarah Cole probably wasn't his mother - again pointing to it being a second marriage with his first wife also being Sarah. Assuming of course that there aren't two separate Francis' born 1795-1800. No quick answer I'm afraid!

David

Later. It's odd, as the will of Francis doesn't mention a son Francis, nor any children of a son Francis. What exactly does this newspaper report say?

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 January 14 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Just to confuse things, Freereg throws up a family consisting of a Francis and Sarah Seaton having 3 children in Huntingdon - 1784 (William) 1785 (Mary) and 1787 (Elizabeth).  This Francis was obviously not born in 1774  :)

Then there is a gap till 1795 with a Francis born to Francis and Sarah.

Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia