Author Topic: Cambridgeshire Parish Records  (Read 8885 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Cambridgeshire Parish Records
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 December 13 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Is this information then going to be published

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AncestryNeeded

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 11:11 GMT (UK) »
It is a hobby of mine as I am interested in the origin of surnames.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 17:08 GMT (UK) »
That will be extremely interesting and potentially useful in dispelling some major errors, i.e. that Luffman is only 200 years old when I have it recorded in its present form back in the 16th century; also determining the origin of another name in my tree, the surname Ayres which seems to be very widely distributed.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 January 14 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie

The sample is going to be used to help ascertain the origins, distribution and meanings of surnames by obtaining an accurate distribution of each surname around 400 years ago.

What an interesting project.

Out of interest, though - can I ask about your methodology? Why marriages? Would burials not have been a better proxy to measure, since everybody dies, but not everybody marries?

Is the point, perhaps, that you are looking for distribution of "family units", and that baptisms would skew the distribution in favour of larger families as against smaller ones?

(You must forgive me ... I often find the design of a survey, and the reasons for designing it as it has been, almost as interesting as th eresults)
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline bitty_matriarch

• RootsChat Member
  • What good is information if not shared with others
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 February 14 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at Wisbech and the Fenlands website: http://contueor.com/wisbech/  ?
CAWTHORN, SCOTT & DeSilva PALMER from Cambridgeshire & West Norfolk [and beyond]
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~cawthorn/genealogy/