Author Topic: Heaton Park Prefabs  (Read 127883 times)

Offline Winifred Fieldhouse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Heaton Park Prefabs
« Reply #180 on: Friday 12 April 13 03:55 BST (UK) »
Elaine (Davis) Pilkinson I also lived on Thornhurst Ave. what number did you live at? I lived at 7.

Offline Winifred Fieldhouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: Friday 12 April 13 03:57 BST (UK) »
I remember the Comries from Perivale Ave, I lived at the bottom of the street at 7 Thornhurst Ave.
Pm me if you have any questions maybe I can help you.

Offline keek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Friday 10 May 13 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi prefabers does any one have pictures of the inside of the houses.I have drawn the out line and included the rooms,when I close my eyes I can walk around the image in my mind but a photo would be better.regards keith

Offline keek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi prefabers does any one have pictures of the inside of the houses.I have drawn the out line and included the rooms,when I close my eyes I can walk around the image in my mind but a photo would be better.regards keith
I hope this drawing brings back some memories of the prefabs.The scale may not be perfect I just did it to keep my memory refreshed.if I got something wrong or left bits out let me know. first pic rubbish to big.

Offline keek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Monday 29 July 13 19:31 BST (UK) »
Are there any prefabs still standing anywhere ?.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: Monday 29 July 13 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Keek,

I've googled before to have a look. I don't think there any Manchester ones still standing, but there is one here at a museum in Wales, near Cardiff
http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/stfagans/buildings/prefab/

and another at the Avoncroft museum in Bromsgrove
http://www.avoncroft.org.uk/collections/avoncrofts-historic-buildings/
there are pictures of this one on youtube and flickr if you google Avoncroft Prefab

There are a couple of films in the Pathe News archive of prefabs being built (search Prefabs)
http://www.britishpathe.com/
One is being built in what looks like parkland, but I can't tell if its Heaton Park

:) Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maggi Dignam nee Johnson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,
Thanks for the link to pics of the bandstand.

Follow this link http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/news/1607233.stolen_park_statue_on_tv/
for news on the running man which had a surprise appearance on the Antique roadshow !

I do not remember the swimming pool neither does my sister who is 57 now, but many years ago i stumbled across some tiles at the edge of the pool i think ! today i went there but could not find anything, was`nt sure i was in the right place. Found a map now so will have another look next week.

I have attached some pics of my family when we lived at no.12 Buttermere Drive before leaving in 1961.

I'm the little baby in my Italian Grandmothers arms (awwwww!) the one and only time I met her before she sadly died in 1968.

Hi, I am Elaine Pilkington was Davies, I lived in Thornhurst Avenue which was the Middleton Road end, I left in 1960 moved to Bantry Drive and lived next door to GeorgeK!!!!!! I remember your mum, dad, Olga i used to play with, I am 58 years old now, do you remember me?

Hi Elaine, I dont remember, but i have the worst memory ever ! I will ask my sis who still lives in Prestwich.
Do you remember my brothers (*) ? I`m 51 now.
My Mum lives Prestwich too but my Dad died in 1983.

Do you still live local ? Have you any pics from Bantry drive ? I remember the Dougans,(*) (think they had a sister !!)

I  lived on Kirkmere Drive next door to the Pluples and across the road from Ian and Geoff Taylor.  i was in the same class as you elaine at parkside and remember your brother lawrence.  We moved to Elstead Walk off Riverdale Road

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Lindavynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: Thursday 03 April 14 05:12 BST (UK) »
Hi
I lived in the Prefabs in Elmere drive, with my parents.
I went to Parkside school. I used to love the Great Lion & Lioness on the steps of the Heaton Hall.
In the summer my Mum and my Aunty would take myself and my two cousins for picnics down by the swings, and on really warm days we were allowed to paddle in the paddling pool, then go up to the pets corner. We used to love those days and still talk about them .

Offline butterflywings

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: Saturday 07 June 14 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,
Sometime around 1962\4 i went to an 'experimental school' in Heaton Park, from Hulme, St Lawrence's primary ??? Not sure if I was gifted and talented or in need of special needs ;D

I remember some prefabs off Sheepfoot Lane where the experimental school was, Round ones like you said, but I don't have a clear image in my head, just a hazy memory, perhaps it was the 'experiments' they did on us. Do remember the food though, and the smell of cabbage and mashed potatoes, but I seem to recall it tasted good. Also having a nap in cots in the afternoon ::)

I've looked on images manchester but can't find pictures.

Will keep searching ;D

Tony