Author Topic: Hellfire Club Queens Road, Manchester  (Read 10463 times)

Offline maverick1db

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hellfire Club Queens Road, Manchester
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 05 April 14 21:33 BST (UK) »
I bought the Hellfire in 2006 which was indeed formerly the Junction Inn and before that the Junction Hotel. When we were renovating we discovered a cigarette packet underneath the floorboards upstairs dated 1886 so we knew the building was at least that old. It has been interesting to read that it is in fact older dating back to at least the 1860s. The address is 1-5 Hendham vale but it has 3 postcodes of which two of them are totally irrelevant to the area so we use M9 5FF, the Queens rd postcode. It has also been very interesting to read of the original landlord and the battle he had to make it a pub, previously we had only known about as far back as the 60's - 70's, the most famous of landlords in the 80's being Peter Whelan. If anyone can tell me more of the buildings history in the intervening years, especially over the wars, I would be very interested to know anything you might have.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 05 April 14 23:48 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know the history of the establishment and what it may have been called in the 1880s?  Can anyone suggest how I find out the landlord's name in 1886? (Assuming that the property was around then)

Hi Maverick1db,

Welcome to Rootschat !  Very interesting  hear from the current owner. 

I'm very taken with the idea  that the cigarette packet dated 1886 that you found may have contained cigarettes smoked by the landlord from 1886 whom the OP, wilbs,  seeks  ;D  ;D

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline maverick1db

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 06 April 14 20:52 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I let the builder who found the packet have it and it was empty so no DNA. I would have thought it maybe from the builders back then but that would slightly contradict the statement that the top floor was added around 1873. After all, it was under the floorboards so more likely to be a builder and there is a possibility it may have been when the electric wiring was first put in.

Offline Babling Brook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Maverick,

This isn't much but you never know... Annie Hamlet's address was shown as The Junction Hotel when she was married to Harold George (my relly) in 1905.Harold lived in Hendham Vale and in 1901 Annie's parents were Henry Moses Hamlet and Sarah Ann Moses and were the Licensees of The Robin Hood Hotel,Barton Road,Stretford.Maybe they moved to The Junction but Henry Moses and Sarah Ann were dead by 1904... To be or not to be ... sorry couldn't resist !  :D

There's loads of local history with The Junction at the junction of Collyhurst - Harpurhey - Smedley - Cheetham borders. You may know Smedley Old Hall ( one time home of the Chethams) was down Hendham Vale along with Elkie Brooks' dad's bakery Bookbinders, just for starters.

BB

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 18:46 BST (UK) »
Some fantastic old photos (1906) of the Hellfire Club/Junction Inn/Hotel and the houses next to it can be found on the images site

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass

Search for "Junction Hotel" 
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 19:21 BST (UK) »
Extract from 1873 Post Office Directory

1863 Job Page was a shopkeeper, James Street, Crumpsall