Author Topic: Is Joseph Webber descended from a French Huguenot mother?  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Is Joseph Webber descended from a French Huguenot mother?
« on: Sunday 22 June 14 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am searching for the ancestry of Joseph Webber born c1762, died 1840 in Wokingham Berkshire. He married Hannah Toley in 1787 in Wokingham. The only birth in the right date range I can find for Joseph is for a baptism in St. Andrew Holborn, London, 1761, to parents John Webber and Susanna (Ouvry). I have traced this couple's marriage in 1753 (Clandestine marriage registers) and believe she is the daughter of Jaques Ouvry and his wife Susanne. John Webber was a snuff box maker. There were 9 children.

Firstly I need to establish if this is in fact my Joseph Webber, and then if so, how can I go about researching the Huguenot connection from afar (Australia)? There are so many Jaques and James Ouvry's in London it has been difficult to make sense of relationships based on online records. I cannot access the Huguenot Society records without becoming a member, which I'd rather not do with French ancestry as yet unproven.

Has anyone come across this family before or know of someone who could assist?

Many thanks.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Is Joseph Webber descended from a French Huguenot mother?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 June 14 13:27 BST (UK) »
There is a tree online that has the Holborn Joseph married to Jane Wilson  :-\

Joseph Webber
Spouse Jane Willson
Marriage 21 November 1785
Marriage Place    Saint Clement Danes,Westminster,London
he was a widower on this marriage but there was also a marriage the year before in London that could have been him.

Why do you think your Joseph was born in London

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 June 14 13:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rosie, it could well be I am on the wrong path. I have no clue as to where my Joseph came from, and this was the best match outside of Wokingham. I am relying very heavily on what I can find online, unfortunately. I haven't found a baptism for his wife Hannah either but I can at least see other Toley's living in Berkshire. There have been few results for Webbers.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 June 14 14:09 BST (UK) »
I've looked at the Ancestry trees and see that few have bothered to research Susanna Ouvry, each one a copy of the other. They have her birth as 1733, when she was baptised in 1722 at the Threadneedle Street French Huguenot church in London. Still, that doesn't help my cause  ???

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 June 14 15:08 BST (UK) »
Joseph & Jane appear to baptise children in 1786 & 1788 at Saint Clement Danes,Westminster &
St Giles Cripplegate,London both local to the Holborn area.

The marriage for your Joseph doesn't help either giving place of residence as Barkham.  If only he had lived a bit longer. It does not help as there is not much online for Oxfordshire and the familysearch records are often far from complete.

Ancestry trees are renowned for their wrong info, if only people would check the information instead of glibly copying it on.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 June 14 12:15 BST (UK) »
Well it looks like something to put aside for now. I agree it is a shame that he didn't make it until at least the 1841 census. I don't wish to claim anything without looking at all possibilities and likelihoods, and as you say, what is online is often not complete. And here we have a case where there is no starting point of where to look.

Ancestry trees are terrible!

Thanks  :)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 June 14 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Kells, I am currently writing a book on the Huguenot Ivory and Bone Turners in England, so I searched through what I have already completed, and found the following reference on page 56:

"Seven years later on 27th October 1711, David(Hannot) was married, at St Dunstan's, Stepney, to
Elizabeth Ouvry, and was described then as an 'Ivory Turner of Spitalfields'.

Elizabeth's family also had links to Canterbury, though were originally from the village of
Coudray, in the region of Dieppe, and were members of the Luneray Temple, where the
family name was spelt Ouvrix.

Elizabeth's father Charles Ouvrix/Ouvry was a shoemaker in France. In England the
family were concerned primarily with silk weaving, though there is some evidence of
involvement in ivory turning from a single later reference to a:

'John Overy, Box Maker, of St Andrew, Holborn' in the Middlesex Sessions of June 1747'

This was the only evidence I have so far found of the Ouvry family in the trade, ('Box Maker' almost certainly indicating he was making ivory or horn snuff boxes at this date), but the fact a John Overy/Ouvry was involved in the same industry as John Webber, at more or less the same date, in the same London parish, must point towards some link.
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 June 14 13:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for all of that information. This could be very useful for me if I am able to establish a relationship with my Joseph Webber to this family in London. I do hope I can!

Offline maryerlich46

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 July 14 16:54 BST (UK) »
Joseph Webber born 1761, baptised St Andrews Holborn son of   .  .  .
John Webber, snuff box maker, (no more info re his past) who married Susannh Overey 2 Oct 1753 Clandestine Marriage). She was baptised 29 Dec 1735 @ St Anns Blackfriars - and was the daughter of John Overy & Elizabeth Stevens who married 5 July 1730 (Clandestine Marriage @ Fleet) .  .  .
Now return to Joseph Webber (1761)  - he married Jane Wilson @ St Clement Danes and was a cordwainer. I only know of 2 children - Jane and George Frederick who was baptised at St Giles Cripplegate and married Maria Madder in 1804.
Hope this is helpful - the records are available on Ancestry - even if only to eliminate this Joseph Webber.
Mary