Author Topic: York and Lancaster Regiment WW2  (Read 2645 times)

Offline sand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
York and Lancaster Regiment WW2
« on: Tuesday 07 October 14 16:48 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out the time line of when my ancestor was in INDIA and BURMA during WW2. I know that he lived in DEWSBURY, West Yorks and presumably he enlisted somewhere locally. Would he perhaps have been in the 7th battalion?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: York and Lancaster Regiment WW2
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 16:55 BST (UK) »
Some info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_and_Lancaster_Regiment#Second_World_War

Where it says: Meanwhile the 7th Battalion was in India (from December 1942), but served mainly on the North-West Frontier, before being moved to Burma in 1945, too late to contribute to the defeat of Japan.

His records will still be with the MOD. See:
https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 19:47 BST (UK) »
Impossible to say what unit he was in with that info - Regardless of where men joined up had no bearing on what they joined. Many if not most were moved from one unit to another during the war. I known a Scottish WW2 Vet that served in a Yorkshire unit, another with the artillery that was transferred to a cavalry unit and my partners GF served in three different units.

Unless you have some more clues like photo's, letters etc the only way you will know 100% what unit he was with throughout the war is by obtaining a copy of his service records for £30 from the MoD. The info is not available anywhere else despite what some websites suggest.

Cheers
Andy

Offline sand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 20:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for all the information. I shall obviously have to do some more research..
Sand