Author Topic: Frederick OTTAWAY b. Kent c. 1848 emmigrated to NZ  (Read 13732 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick OTTAWAY b. Kent c. 1848 emmigrated to NZ
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 February 12 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Excellent info Bearcat :)

Hi again ottawayfamily,
Now I am convinced we have the correct Family for Frederick.
There are too many names that reoccur.
I have looked at all my resources also to find him arriving Australia and New Zealand with no luck, except the Brisbane/Sydney trip which is on the Mariners Site.
Now if he was an Unassisted Immigrant he would possibly not be found on Shipping Lists.

You mention you have the D/C but do you have the M/C?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 February 12 05:48 GMT (UK) »
You probably have traced Sion/Ann on Census;

Sion ROFE was Christened 26 July 1795, Presbyterian, Tenderden, Kent To THOMAS/ELIZABETH (Birth 05 June 1795)
(Source F/S.Org)
Married Ann GRIST 29 Dec 1814, St Mildred Tr, Tenterden, Kent
(Source FreeREG)

Thomas ROFE Married Elizabeth DENCE, same Church, 24 May 1791
(Source FreeREG)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ottawayfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 February 12 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have the marriage certificate, but in 1875 there was no requirement to state parent's names.
I also have the intent to marry, but still without parent's names  :(

I have traced Sion/Ann on the census, but still have that small niggling doubt that perhaps there is another Frederick Ottaway I have missed - particularly as the family story about travelling with his brother doesn't appear to be true, perhaps he also isn't from Kent.....

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 February 12 15:42 GMT (UK) »
What info do you have that suggests he came from Kent?

The name Sion certainly fits with this family.

Have you looked for a newspaper obituary for Frederick?
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ottawayfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 February 12 18:31 GMT (UK) »
One of my uncles wrote his memoirs as follows:

"My father's father was born in Maidstone, Kent and came to NZ in the 1860s. He arrived in Wellington with his brother but owing to a difference of opinion they parted company. One went to the South Island and my grandfather Frederick Charles Ottaway went to Taranaki. He was a flour miller and baker by trade. After a time with the troops in Taranaki, where he served in the Armed Constabulary against the Marois at the time of the Land Wars, Grandad and his brother were the only Ottaways to come to NZ in the 1800s and those two families held that position until the end of the Second World War when some came to NZ as assisted immigrants."

After two years of searching I have not been able to find any passenger/shipping records of his arrival, it doesn't appear that the NZ Ottaways I have traced are brothers, there were more than 2 Ottaways in NZ, and I have checked the NZ Armed Constabulary records and cannot locate him there. I have searched as many of the online records I can think of, including using alternate spellings of his surname. I am traveling to Wellington next week to spend a day in the National Archives, but it has been a very frustrating search for information to back up this family story. By elimination I believe I have traced the correct ancestor, but a little more proof would be reassuring. Any suggestions on where else to search would be gratefully received.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 February 12 02:41 GMT (UK) »
What are the names of the Ottways that you have traced that you have discounted as Brothers of Frederick ?

Archway has 2 Bankrupcy Files of Otaways in the right time frame so there were at least 3 in NZ during the 1880's;
GEORGE Ottaway- Romahapa-Contactor 1887 (Dunedin)
HENRY WILLGRESS Ottaway 25/4/1884 (Christchurch)

(GEORGE/MARTHA Ottaway seem to have Children born NZ 1877/1879/1881)

There is also this held in Wellington;
9 August 1887 - Major Messenger, Wellington - Forwards crime report against No.217 3rd Class Gunner A. Ottaway

Anc Passenger Lists has;
THOS Ottaway arriving in Melbourne from Greymouth Hutt NZ , Ship OWEN, 30 Dec 1868, Nationality English
(another Record has him age 19, Birth c 1849)

There is also a JAMES Ottaway on the 1890 Electrol Roll, Te Aroha/Waikato

Trish :)

Offline ottawayfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 February 12 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Aside from these the other Ottaways I have traced as in NZ during the 1800's include Alfred Ottaway who married Agnes Mullens in NZ in 1889, and James Mager Ottaway who married Alice Eleanor Healy in NZ in 1900.

Arthur Wilgress Ottaway died in NZ aged 18 month in 1881 - with that name he may well be the son of Henry Wilgress Ottaway who married Annie Scott in NZ in 1876.

So there were certainly a lot more Ottaway's in NZ in the 1800's than our family story would suggest.

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 February 12 12:26 GMT (UK) »
This website mentions banns for Horace OTTAWAY to Martha ROFE 6th October 1844

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gillon/ethelyn/pafn38.htm#6386

Did they actually marry?

Horace died in February 1846
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 February 12 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Arthur Wilgress Ottaway was the Son of Henry/Annie,
Henry under Hy Wilgress OTTAWAY died in Melbourne, Victoria, in 1905, Birth c 1852, Father EDWD

He is on the 1861 Census age 9, under Attaway, with Parents Edward/Mary and then disappears so must have left England before 1871 Census.

I was hoping to find a relationship bewteen Charles/Edward Ottaway but cant ::)