Author Topic: Forces War Records.co.uk  (Read 5862 times)

Offline DH999

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Forces War Records.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 March 14 14:22 GMT (UK) »
I subscribed for a while but have now cancelled, as like many others were not getting any more than I could get from free sites, National Archive and my subscription to FindMyPast. They seem to duplicate other sites on WW1 and WW2 records and have little or nothing pre-Victorian which is when my person of interest served.

I assume you mean apart from NOK as I have already explained. Genealogy is about corroboration of data to ensure your accuracy, the NOK field we are the only one's whom have added to this collection from the IWGC memorial registers, will help you corroborate your records.

When you say we duplicate other sites, I assume you mean we have the same records as other sites? That's correct, we do have records other sites holds as do all sites. We also hold a lot of records other sites don't hold.

Regards to little or nothing Pre-Victorian, we have these collections plus another not on our collections list with over 150,000 pre-victorian records on the site.

The Men of Trafalgar Medal Roll   - Exclusive  exclusive collection    TNA ADM171/1/8 2297 pages
The Naval General Service Medal Roll   - Exclusive  exclusive collection    ADM 171/1-8 (2297 pages). ADM 171/58 (58 pages) ADM 171/62 (250 pages).
The Military General Service Medal Roll   - Exclusive  exclusive collection    WO100/xxx (where xxx is the individual regiment reference)
The Army of India Medal Roll 1799-1826   - Exclusive  exclusive collection    WO100/xxx (where xxx is the individual regiment reference) The rolls are [...]
The Kaffir Wars Medal Roll   - Exclusive  exclusive collection

Offline DH999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 March 14 14:32 GMT (UK) »
There is a link on the main menu which is on every page that says Collections List on it. It allows you to choose a time period so you can see what records we have in your area of interest.

http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/collections/list/

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 March 14 15:23 GMT (UK) »
I am aware of the link. It just confirms there are very few pre-napoleonic records.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline DH999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 March 14 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I am aware of the link. It just confirms there are very few pre-napoleonic records.

Sorry, by very few, or little or nothing pre-Victorian as you stated in your first post, did you mean 150,000 records?

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 March 14 15:47 GMT (UK) »
For pre-napoleonic there are two collections - one navy, the other is a medal roll for kaffir wars. neither cover my Royal (garrison) Artillery ancestor who I estimate would have enlisted in approx 1780.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline DH999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 March 14 16:28 GMT (UK) »
For pre-napoleonic there are two collections - one navy, the other is a medal roll for kaffir wars. neither cover my Royal (garrison) Artillery ancestor who I estimate would have enlisted in approx 1780.

Lizzie,

I of course understand we don't have every possible ancestor from every possible time, of course no site does as much and as fast as we transcribe new records in the UK, we do however have lots others can find.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 March 14 16:31 GMT (UK) »

Sorry, by very few, or little or nothing pre-Victorian as you stated in your first post, did you mean 150,000 records?

I think the point being made is not about the number of individual records held - but the number and variety of different record set/collections.
If the collection held is not relevant than it does not matter how many individuals may be listed in it.

Milly (Armed Forces Moderator)
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DH999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 March 14 16:34 GMT (UK) »

I think the point being made is not about the number of individual records held - but the number and variety of different record set/collections.
If the collection held is not relevant than it does not matter how many individuals may be listed in it.

Milly

Hi Milly,
Of course absolutely correct, it doesn't matter how many billions of records a site may hold, if they don't have one on your ancestor then it's no good.

I was just trying to make the point saying a site has very little records in a general statement isn't particularly helpful when its not entirely accurate.

However you're quite correct in more collections is better than fewer, which is why we also transcribe lots of smaller collections and at current count have over 50 military record collections. Which is more than most sites as far as I know.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 March 14 16:47 GMT (UK) »
I think that it is these smaller collections that we are keen to learn about. What there is, the scope of the records, are they complete, is it just transcripts or can people see originals?

People know where to go for the usual WW1 Medals and Service Papers, CWGC etc but if you have any hidden gems then that would be very interesting.

Regarding the original question posed and your reply

I've looked very specifically at this and all extra we would have would be information about the Regiment/Medals rather than info specifically about the individual.

That appears to confirm the responses given on this thread - ie there is not much more specific info available

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk